Snowdrop and Sunrise Express. Now Booking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Bullet bitten, and Snowdrop for me. What is everyone else doing?

It'll help me get fit for ski-ing the following weekend, and give me a target during these cold winter days.

Now there's a coincidence, I signed up for the Snowdrop back in November! Well it's only 15 miles from my house so even I shouldn't get lost cycling to the start. Probably.

You'll recognise me as that befuddled looking bloke on a VN Yukon going in the wrong direction... :hello:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I do a lot of my winter riding on a Trek Hybrid as its more robust and has rack and bags for spare clothing, flask etc. Do many/any do Audaxes on Hybrid bikes?

I use Michelin City Pilot tyres on the Trek during winter, they are very tough and grip well but weigh a kilogram each believe it or not.I would put my summertime Bontrager racelights back on if i do use the Trek.

If the weather looks not too bad I will bring the Scott roadbike anyway but if heavy rain is likely to have spread mud everywhere or theres any chance of snow/ice I would rather be on the Trek.

Any advice welcomed.

Wobblers

Euthermic
I do a lot of my winter riding on a Trek Hybrid as its more robust and has rack and bags for spare clothing, flask etc. Do many/any do Audaxes on Hybrid bikes?

I use Michelin City Pilot tyres on the Trek during winter, they are very tough and grip well but weigh a kilogram each believe it or not.I would put my summertime Bontrager racelights back on if i do use the Trek.

If the weather looks not too bad I will bring the Scott roadbike anyway but if heavy rain is likely to have spread mud everywhere or theres any chance of snow/ice I would rather be on the Trek.

Any advice welcomed.

The one audax I've been on had most people on road bikes: but that was in summer in fine, warm weather! Pictures from last year's Snowdrop show quite a few people on hybrids. I doubt there'd be a problem.

I do quite a lot of cycling on those roads: usually 23 mm tyres are fine. Some roads are quite bad though - I'd leave the City Pilot tyres on as long as they don't slow you down. Having a set of robust grippy tyres is definitely an advantage in this sort of weather!

If the weather's bad, I'll probably be on the Dawes Galaxy with 32 mm marathon plusses...

OP
OP
Philip Whiteman

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
I am amost up to maximum numbers allowable on the Sunrise Express. Any riders considering this event will need to enter ASAP and via Paypal from the Beacon website. Postal entries may not arrive in time before closure. I currently have around 30 spaces left on the Snowdrop.

You'll recognise me as that befuddled looking bloke on a VN Yukon going in the wrong direction... :hello:

Good taste. Perhaps I ought to consider discounts for VN riders. I have just bought a Yukon from Echelon and I am most satisfied.

Bikes on Beacon RCC's audaxes of the past have been ecclectic. Anything for pro-level time trials bikes (not recommended) down to the humble Brompton or MTB. Last year there was even a threat of somebody riding a Flying Gate. A lot people manage to get around on normal race tyres even though the route may potholed and a bit muddy.

Norry1

Legendary Member
So, it looks to me like the list is as follows:

Sunrise: AlanW, ParaffinLamps

Snowdrop: Banjo, BrumJim, McWobble, Norry1

Unspecified: Jimboalee, Turning Worm

Spectator: Speicher

Is that right?

Martin

AlanW

Guru

Sunrise: AlanW
Unspecified: Jimboalee, Turning Worm, ParaffinLamps, Speicher

Is that right?

Martin

Only me on the early shift then!

Speicher

Vice Admiral
:blush: I know I am a regular poster on this forum, but for the purposes of this event, I am a spectator. I will be at either Croome Park, or Revills. At Croome Park I will be less conspicuous as a loiterer with intent (to meet other Cycle Chat forummers). :smile:

Banjo

Sunrise: AlanW, ParaffinLamps

Unspecified: Jimboalee, Turning Worm

Spectator: Speicher

Is that right?

Martin

Jimbo said he is doing the Sunrise in an earlier post.

Banjo

Hey Doc.

You've catagorised this ride ( according to the AUK calendar ) as a BP... Brevet Populaire...:smile:

But you've assigned it Rando speeds 15 - 30 kmh :angry: .

I had though of riding my BSA 20 with a big flask of soup in the backbag. :angry:

Worked it out with a calculator first control on Snowdrop is Stables Tea Rooms at 44.8 km control should close at 3hrs. (12 midday)

Second control Raphaels Cafe at 75,6 km closes 5 hrs (2pm)

Finish at 120.1 kms Hartlebury Trading Estate Cafe closes 8 hrs (5pm)

Please dont take my calculations as gospel :biggrin: maths was never my strong subject.

Is it luck or organization that it comes out at such round figures? I havent worked out the control opening times as theres no way that will be an issue for me :rolleyes:

Banjo

Just remembered jimbo told me that in a Private Message sorry to have had you scouring the thread.

He has been noticably absent on here lately.

Top Bottom