So, Carbon Fibre...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rhys_Po

feckless said:
Yeah, but at least carbon doesn't disintegrate by itself.

k

Nope, but when it's given a helping hand, it goes in a big way!

http://www.bustedcarbon.com

elekt09st03-ouch.jpg

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
OMG! - what a depressing website ...... just how do you explain carbon forks marked 'not for off-road use' fitted as standard on a cyclo cross bike?? The words 'not fit for purpose' come to mind.

knonist

onlyhuman said:
String and glue. I know what you mean anyway yenrod, calling it "carbon fibre" makes it sound so hi-tech and "exclusive", but it's just glorified fibreglass.

in some way it is, but the resin system is very different.

It is really depended on the actural application to choose what to use.

You will want GF on your bike as it flex!

knonist

onlyhuman said:
Can you tell me why I'm wrong? The two processes are almost identical, the end products are extremely similar. Fibres are spun into yarn, made into fabric and combined with plastic resin.
True, but it is an epoxy resin not “plastic resin”.
The mechanical performance is very different, and the way the yarn produce is very different too.

It is essentially two different materials

knonist

yenrod said:
Matthew your totally wrong.

'Only - totally right ! :tongue:

At the end of the day crack a steely - get it repaired crack a carbon and its curtains if not end of'.

Though I do know of a person who has a prob. with a scott carbon frame and has sent it off to some bloke down south somewhere...who reportedly can repair it...

I still feel carbon is effectively a 'plastic' and by and large brittle.

When compared to GF, it is stiffer, but it is just a different material.
When compared to any metal (in equal weight), it is tougher, lighter, and stiffer.

dudi

I notice that the only one of those 'busted carbon' images was due to anything except a crash. That one being the image posted above of the Columbia rider.

Since when did we start expecting our bikes not to get damaged if we crash?
I've crashed a few times, and each time expected to see some damage to my bike. just as if I had crashed my car I would expect to have some damage to repair.

llllllll

knonist said:
When compared to any metal (in equal weight), it is .....lighter

:biggrin:

Top Bottom