So, Carbon Fibre...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Surely it comes down to what you choose to mean by the words you use. I'd call carbon fibre a 'plastic' on account of it starts out as oil - right? And yes, CF and fibreglass are different materials with different properties - doesn't mean they're not both plastic, surely? (Just as it's quite right to call titanium and aluminium 'both metal'.)

onlyhuman

[quote name='swee'pea99']Surely it comes down to what you choose to mean by the words you use. I'd call carbon fibre a 'plastic' on account of it starts out as oil - right? And yes, CF and fibreglass are different materials with different properties - doesn't mean they're not both plastic, surely? (Just as it's quite right to call titanium and aluminium 'both metal'.)[/QUOTE]

I get the distinct impression that certain people want carbon fibre to be seen as something really special, for marketing purposes, and other people are happy to be impressed by that kind of hype, or don't realise that it is hype.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Or that some of us who have Carbon do so because of the absolute glorious ride that Carbon gives.

onlyhuman said:
I get the distinct impression that certain people want carbon fibre to be seen as something really special, for marketing purposes, and other people are happy to be impressed by that kind of hype, or don't realise that it is hype.

onlyhuman

ianrauk said:
Or that some of us who have Carbon do so because of the absolute glorious ride that Carbon gives.

And Carbon gets a capital letter does it, like God and the Queen?

I think it is hype, marketing, fashion, and the fashion doesn't appeal to me much. I think plastic bikes are ugly, the flattened frame members are bulky, awkward-looking, inelegant. But that's a matter of taste.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I certainly wouldn't say that my bike is what you describe.
But you are right, it's all a matter of taste. That and a little snobbery.

onlyhuman said:
And Carbon gets a capital letter does it, like God and the Queen?

I think it is hype, marketing, fashion, and the fashion doesn't appeal to me much. I think plastic bikes are ugly, the flattened frame members are bulky, awkward-looking, inelegant. But that's a matter of taste.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
this could provide the answer:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_fiber_reinforced_plastic

Carbon fiber reinforced polymer or carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP or CRP), is a very strong, light, and expensive composite material or fiber reinforced polymer. Similar to fiberglass (glass reinforced polymer), the composite material is commonly referred to by the name of its reinforcing fibers (carbon fiber). The polymer is most often epoxy, but other polymers, such as polyester, vinyl ester or nylon, are also sometimes used. Some composites contain both carbon fiber and other fibers such as kevlar, aluminium and fiberglass reinforcement. The terms graphite-reinforced polymer or graphite fiber reinforced polymer (GFRP) are also used but less commonly, since glass-(fiber)-reinforced polymer can also be called GFRP. In product advertisements, it is sometimes referred to simply as graphite fiber (or graphite fibre), for short.
It has many applications in aerospace and automotive fields, as well as in sailboats, and notably in modern bicycles and motorcycles, where its high strength to weight ratio is of importance. Improved manufacturing techniques are reducing the costs and time to manufacture making it increasingly common in small consumer goods as well, such as laptops, tripods, fishing rods, paintball equipment, archery equipment, racquet frames, stringed instrument bodies, classical guitar strings, drum shells, golf clubs, and pool/billiards/snooker cues.

Chrisz

Über Member
Call it what you like - it's still a very pretty material when laid up properly.

Personally I dislike the lumpy welds on 'metal' frames and think the frames look too skinny - I much prefer the chunkiness of most carbon (or plastic) frames. I also love the way that the tubes meet seamlessly on a carbon monocoque structure.

Having ridden a metal frame for almost all of my life (I only got my carbon frame this Christmas) I would not look back - the ride is so comfortable and I love the shape of the carbon structure.

Call it plastic or whatever you like, call it a whim of fashion too - personally I don't give a stuff :wacko: :biggrin: ;)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Chrisz said:
Call it plastic or whatever you like, call it a whim of fashion too - personally I don't give a stuff :biggrin: :angry: :smile:

Chris, I agree with you, having played golf for years I've benefitted from advanced carbon technology. But golfers, like cyclists apparently, also get upset when you refer to it as a plastic. I'd imagine that the marketing boys wanted to avoid/ditch the word plastic as quickly as possible as well.

Calling it a plastic is merely accurate, calling it a reinforced plastic composite would be more accurate. Calling a CF bike bloody gorgeous would also be accurate.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
To be accurate you must specify the fibre, much as we quote 531, 853 etc. for steel - so FRP may be a better abbreviation. Of course if I was fortunate enough to own a Museeuw I would want it known that it was a Carbon and Flax fibre frame!

Top Bottom