So how easy is a 'bent to ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Im considering a 2 wheeled bent , just need to try one out, no idea how to though .
It might solve my dodgy nerve /neck / hand tingly issues i though if i was just holding the bars ?

stuee147

i dont find bents any harder or easier than a standard df bike but you will find that you use different mussles on a bent so to start with yes a bit slower but as you build the mussle you will find it esier all you need to worry about on a trike is pedaling and stearing on the hills and when stoping and starting in trafic and no real worry about falling over. also on big long hills its easy to just stop and rest half way and its a lot asier to get going again without wobbeling as long as you get the right gear lol.
as for trafic i would have to agree you tend to get a bit more room from other road users most of the time.

Im considering a 2 wheeled bent , just need to try one out, no idea how to though .
It might solve my dodgy nerve /neck / hand tingly issues i though if i was just holding the bars ?

One of thh "problems" with recumbents is the wide variety of designs.

A short mesh seat such as the Kettwiesel, Gekko or Catrike has adjustment of the tension that means you can support where needed, but only supports part of teh spine. A HArd shell seat is stiffer, is not adjustable, but supports the whole back. The HP Velotechnik "Body form" set is a compromise between the two.

Same with handlebars

Above the seat steering raises the hands higher and some people dislike this, whilst others prefer this to the lower underseat steering.

The other thing is that underseat steering is more adjustable for reach and position than above seat steering.

You need to find out what works best for you

....I have homebuilt tadpole trike and LWB, and plan to build a SWB at some stage. Also have a regular MTB and folding bike......nice to have several options in the stable for a bit of variety. I could ride a 'bent all day and not have any aches or pains, apart from sunburn. Regular bike gives me neck, shoulder and butt ache after about half hour :eek:

My husband was doing the oil change on my trike yesterday (Rohloff hub) and whilst the cleaning oil is in you have to do 1km on the trike so he took it out on our lane minus the flag which I had taken off to put the trike away... The flag might have told the oncoming driver my husband was there... The oncoming driver was but neighbour who was also going too fast... So was my husband.

Well the result is that I know my brakes work really well.. And my husband skidded my trike bringing the rear wheel all the way round in a 180... He is now talking about getting on... Something about not having had that much fun since his early teenage years... He sounded rather excited when he mentioned it to me after our neighbour said something to him in the courtyard that I overheard!

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I quite like this idea, front wheel drive -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Recumbent...713?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cb7b357d1

Only a single chainring though.

Front wheel drive is an issue as it involves twisting the chain when turning

The boom stays still,and the forks turn

The Flevobike answer where the frame pivots in the middle of the frame is an answer

However they are not easy to ride with a whole new set of skills

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I quite like this idea, front wheel drive -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Recumbent...713?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cb7b357d1

Only a single chainring though.

I've been trying to convince myself that I really shouldn't buy a raptobike lowracer for the last few weeks, this thread is pushing me ever nearer.

I did let slip to my better half last week, after the silence I was met with " well you are not keeping that one in the house too".

I think that's a yes isn't it?!!:hyper:

Falco Frank

Über Member
I have so enjoyed my 'bent experience so far. Even the pains of getting the bike 'right' for me have been overcome by the uniqueness and fun of ownership, a large part of which has been the encouragement from this forum.

My little 20" wheel bike has been a great introduction and I must admit to being hungry for more and a bit miffed at missing out on the orange performer that sold yesterday on Ebay for a mere £460 :envy:

Mine had over seat steering and while comfy, I convinced myself under seat was more comfy, which I think it is (and, with a Spock raised eyebrow) more Logical. But, much more of a pain in setup terms and getting on/off. So, Im gonna persist with USS as long as possible but feel I might end up reverting.

Ive never tried to look back over my shoulder as mine had a dinky little but great functioning mirror when bought and upon fitting the USS I bought a cheap Halford plastic bar-end mirror that while flimsy is surprisingly handy, an essential item.

Drinking on the move is 'awkward', Im thinking of putting a pannier on the 'bent and trying a camelbak inside.

I think someone said D.Tek would let prospective owner try some bikes? I believe the same seller also used Ebay now.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

dodgy

I had a Windcheetah Speedy, beautiful piece of engineering but I just could not get on with the twitchy steering. Scared me going downhill fast. Yes I know if I'd have stuck with it I might have got better, but sold it anyway after a few weeks (for a profit).

Speedwise, all in all slower, but in certain circumstances it could be faster. Also, your upright cycling muscles won't necessarily immediately transfer to bent riding.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm starting to want one!
Like this one?
downloadfile-24.jpg

Top Bottom