So how easy is a 'bent to ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

znarf42

Regular
Drinking on the move is 'awkward', Im thinking of putting a pannier on the 'bent and trying a camelbak inside.

Good Luck.

I've got a bottle cage mounted on the above seat steering on the Grasshopper, took a few weeks to get comfortable taking it out and putting it back in.
Under seat steering on the SMGTe is a faff with drinking, i keep a bottle in the below seat panniers and opening/closing that is an art i'm still perfecting while riding. What i could really do with is a cage mounted on the frame between the legs. But i will say this though, eating a sandwich while riding with USS is a doddle, plus you can sort of use your chest and half zipped up jacket as a temporary place to keep food when you need two hands on the handlebars.

starhawk

I've got a bottle cage mounted on the above seat steering on the Grasshopper, took a few weeks to get comfortable taking it out and putting it back in.
Under seat steering on the SMGTe is a faff with drinking, i keep a bottle in the below seat panniers and opening/closing that is an art i'm still perfecting while riding. What i could really do with is a cage mounted on the frame between the legs.

I have the ICE "bottle cage turner" mounted on the bottlecage mounting points on the frame just in front of the cruzible it turns the bottle cage around and tilt it upwards so it is pointing at me, really easy to pick it up have a zip and put it back.

But i will say this though, eating a sandwich while riding with USS is a doddle, plus you can sort of use your chest and half zipped up jacket as a temporary place to keep food when you need two hands on the handlebars.

I have a friend who has his jacket half zipped up like that but he uses it for his dog, quite a little dog, wouldn't work for a lab

I've a bottle cage mounted on a Topeak bracket on the stem just below the bars (OSS), - you have to fettle the position a bit so it does not poke you in the gentleman's area :whistle: but not so high that the 500ml bottle fouls the underside of the bars. I then have 2 more Topeak brackets on the central frame tube below the seat each with an 800ml bottle. That gives me sufficient fluid for maybe 100k without needing a pannier.

I use the smaller stem bottle on the move (easy to take out and put back whilst pedalling) and then top this bottle up from one below the seat when stopped.

I have posted this before..

CamelBak do a model called the "Unbottle":

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9e-aDvY3yCwZsqaHAgFkG4uXZlE8qR25gHBIntgSYL2pqbBgO.jpg

It easily straps to the frame of a webbing seat , or even to a hard shell

The tube comes over your shoulder and is available with no issues at all

2 and 3 litre models cover most eventualities

Having been building and riding my own design trikes for about 3 years, we find them great fun and the e-trikes have brought back the spirit of adventure that getting old seems to put back into memory , with the q100 motors and 36v batteries the trikes have become car replacements at the weekends and on holiday , 4 of us managed to terrorize Brighton last weekend ( with a combined age of 255 years ) on trikes and e-trikes ( photos on my building a couple thread ) The addition of the e-assist makes the problem of slow on hills disappear and bring back the fun in cycling that I thought time had forgotten . the advantages also include being lower you can shelter from the wind if there are hedges , walls etc . A big advantage is going to a busy cafe on a ride you don't need a chair ( you brought your own along ) But be prepared to talk trikes as everyone is interested .
here is part of our ride from Lancing to Brighton playing pass the go pro .

View: https://youtu.be/kJ2bxHO_Buo

USS , disc brakes and e-assist make it one ideal car replacement for short trips and an additional battery brings 40 -50 mile day rides into reality for a post 60 year old with the confidence that even if you feel unwell you can get back home without much problem

regards emma

znarf42

Regular
The chance to try something completely different is also rather exciting. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, I've yet to hear of anyone saying they regretted buying one and I've gained a fair insight into what I need.

I'll chime in here and give you a downside here, I "really" regret getting my first bent. One wasn't enough, it felt lonely on its own, so then there was two, and now they've had offspring and there are three.

Incidentally, what do you use for the flag poles?

Last edited:

znarf42

Regular
Having been building and riding my own design trikes for about 3 years, we find them great fun and the e-trikes have brought back the spirit of adventure that getting old seems to put back into memory , with the q100 motors and 36v batteries the trikes have become car replacements at the weekends and on holiday , 4 of us managed to terrorize Brighton last weekend ( with a combined age of 255 years ) on trikes and e-trikes ( photos on my building a couple thread )

regards emma

Damn, i was in Brighton last weekend, I go down every other weekend from London, would have love to have seen some terrorizing trikes!

That day was our Summer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Video was taken mainly by John ( sandman ) with a little help from all of us

:sun:....:cheers:...:cheers:......:evil:......:rain:....:cursing:..:banghead:

regards emma

I'll chime in here and give you a downside here, I "really" regret getting my first bent. One wasn't enough, it felt lonely on its own, so then there was two, and now they've had offspring and there are three.

We use old fishing rods with a 6mm stud fibreglassed into the end with practice golf balls yuhu "por " stuck on the end .
The old fishing rods come from our local tip ...

upside is they are free and easily made ,down side is they are about 4ft long .

John and Danny use a 2 piece tent pole .

only 3 :eek: ! .....^_^

We have 6 tadpoles here to chose from from the e-streetfox ( first tadpole we built down to the transportable that still needs a coat of paint )
including the Holiday e-20/20s as featured in the other thread and the video .

we are only 4 miles east of Brighton most weekends

regards emma

I concur.
My OH wants one so he is as "slow as I am" :eek: :cry:

Currently I use the flag pole that came with the trike. Not seen any reason to change it and it works really well.

we are only 4 miles east of Brighton most weekends

I now have visions of your place floating out to see periodically...

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom