So how easy is a 'bent to ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Compared to a standard bike, I mean.

A three wheeler looks like an appealing move for the future as age related dodderyness sets in. And how do you low riders get on mixing it with road traffic?

What are they like to climb hills?

I haven't found the transition too bad, but then my transition was forced rather than voluntary and the only way I could get back riding again, so adapting was a necessity rather than a choice.

I made sure the gearing I had had plenty of seriously low gears (and I use every one of them) so hills haven't been a too much of a problem in that so far I have not met anything I haven't been able to get up. However, I can not help feeling concerned about touring and how well I will manage the steeper hills then, but I have obviously have a paralysis to deal with not to mention the fact that I am still getting my muscles back after a long period off the bike and all exercise.

Mixing with traffic, well I only get countryside traffic and I haven't yet really tried anything bigger than villages, but I'm told the flag I have makes a lot of difference to people spotting me, but traffic wise, no issues because I am so different to what people are accustomed to seeing that they do see me and register me. They also perceive it as 'dangerous' and thus give me much more space that I ever got on my road bike. On my laden tourer, I got given a similar amount of space, but even unladen I am roughly the same speed as on my laden tourer and going up hill, I lose the speed very quickly.

There are a few things to get used to but overall I haven't really had any issues, though I have yet to go into a town on one, let alone a city!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Trikes are no problem at all in traffic. Everyone thinks they are low therefore won't be seen, but the opposite is true: they are so unusual, everyone notices them. No-one's quite sure what they are so tend to give them a wide berth. Although actually not much wider than your shoulders on an upright bike, they look wide, I think in part because people see them as a kind of small car, so if you adopt a strong secondary, almost everyone completely changes lane to overtake.

Last edited:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Two I wrote earlier
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/first-little-ride.167242/
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/im-still-amazed.168171/
I've only had my trike nine months and have ridden 900 miles, firstly I would say I feel a lot more safer on the trike than a bike now, as for climbing hills.....there slow or I'm slow as it is much heavier, well mine is at 19.5 kg, to help me climb a bit I fitted a lower granny gear 20T bought from the USA down from 22T as stranded 42-32-22T now I can climb any hill even with a fully loaded trailer be it at 3 mph.
I'm very happy with mine as it is fun to ride, if you want to go some where quick I take the bike, but just out for enjoyment the trike every time as it is so much more comfortable and you can wear normal clothes, no more padded shorts.

znarf42

Regular
Compared to a standard bike, I mean.

A three wheeler looks like an appealing move for the future as age related dodderyness sets in. And how do you low riders get on mixing it with road traffic?

What are they like to climb hills?

I've only been riding two wheel bent for just over a year now so i'm still relatively fresh eyed to the subject. First time you try it is like learning to ride all over again for the very first time. There's an initial unfamiliarity with where the peddles are when starting off, followed by the balance being all different, and the stearing point will seem odd, so expect over compensation and a few falls.

Once you've got past the initial hurdle of going in a straight line for more than one peddle stroke it'll get easier. When i started out, i'd walk the bent to a park a, no way i was getting on the road and playing in the traffic. After a while confidence builds and things start becoming second nature, that's when the fun really starts. :-)

Also, for me at least, the way you ride a bent is different in many ways to a regular bike, for me its more akin to driving a car, very little weaving in and out between cars. At the lights i pull up behind the vehicle in front and wait to set off. Other road users also seem to treat you more like a car too, giving you a wide berth when they pass, oncoming cars tend to stop at narrow parts to let you through in the same way they would for an oncoming car.

People also smile a lot and you'll discover all the yoot words for what was once termed "cool". You'll get noticed, people will start conversations with you when stopped. I was out for a ride in Hyde Park recently playing ingress (GPS game) had four separate conversations with random groups of people. One of whom wanted a picture to send to their husband.

Hills, for me are still a problem, low gears are essential to get up, but once you do, OMG the downs are spectacularly good fun - you'll grin like a loon.

I may be cheap but it takes more than a pint to get me into bed - Taaa Daaaaa!

Not what I have heard!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
My experience equates to that of @znarf42 - and one big difference is that you cannot be an "anonymous cyclist" any more ! You will be noticed, you will be waved at, people will smile, toot their horn and give a :thumbsup:, parents will direct their children's attention to you, children will do the same to their parents; with experience and confidence you will fly downhill :wahhey: and the total absence of arm/ shoulder/ back/ neck pain will make you wonder why you didn't make the change ages ago. :huh:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
So how quick is a three wheeled bent? Richard Ballantyne used to reckon they were quicker than a standard bike on the flat, I'd like to know what the riders here find.
Overall, my average speed is the same. Uphill is much slower, downhill is much faster, on the flat is the same.

machew

Veteran
  1. Other Cyclists think that you are nuts, because they think that you cant be seen
  2. Other people think that you are nuts, because they think that you cant be seen
  3. Drivers who are using their mobile phones when driving think that you are nut because they didn't see you
  4. If you are a shy person don't get one, because they always attract attention. ( I am frequently overtaken by cars and am puzzled why they haven't completed the overtaking maneuver, only to turn and see the passenger taken pictures with their mobile phone)

Speed depends on the trike

On the Catrike Expedition I am faster than on the uprights, with the Gekko, I am about the same , and the Kettweisel is slower on the hills than either of these.

Unequivocally all are far faster down hill.

Top Bottom