So how easy is a 'bent to ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I quite like this idea, front wheel drive -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Recumbent...713?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cb7b357d1

Only a single chainring though.

I have a Raptobike. It only had a single chainring, and no post to upgrade to a double. However I just fitted another ring which I can swap over with my foot if needed. I added a 70 tooth ring to the 60 it came with, but it stays on the 70 toother for my commute and I never have to drop below 2nd for uphills, whilst being able to hit 40 without spinning out.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

...and of course because it is the frame pivot that steers the Flevobike, the handlebars are technically additional, so lots of posing potential:

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
...and of course because it is the frame pivot that steers the Flevobike, the handlebars are technically additional, so lots of posing potential:

And it's somewhere to put the brake and gear levers:okay:

I'm always suspicious when people post videos showing how easy it is to do stuff. I'm sure a newbie wouldn't be able to ride a Flevobike like that'. Indeed, if anyone had seen a video of my first Raptobike ride, they would be put off, whereas now, I'm awesome!

For example, I could post a video showing my awesome 3,4 and 5 ball juggling skills, or walking 25 yards on my hands, but it would take years to get to that level. I'll just exhale now after blowing my own trumpet.:whistle:

View: https://youtu.be/OzghDScrT88

Or I could show how easy it is to levitate.

View: http://youtu.be/apr6SWd4JEY

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
Looking over your shoulder is a doddle on a trike, but can be dodgy on 2 wheels, especially on the lowracers where balance is more difficult especially at low speeds. I have 2 mirrycle mirrors, and they work perfectly. Under seat steering machines are harder to ride, and less 'aero'.
Given a 64 year old neck, that doesn't work for me, nor did it 10 years ago! If I turn my stiff neck to look behind on any of my trikes all I see is road, and that road is next to my rear wheel. All of my trikes have two mirrors mounted, one each side on the handle bars, and I use a glasses mounted mirror. The latter scans my rear 180 degrees and the bar mounted mirrors allow me to monitor the road on either side of the trike. None glasses users can mount a mirror on a helmet, should they use one, I don't.

Recycle

Über Member
Im considering a 2 wheeled bent , just need to try one out, no idea how to though .
It might solve my dodgy nerve /neck / hand tingly issues i though if i was just holding the bars ?
I switched to a bent for similar reasons. IMO a learning to ride a recumbent bike is like re-learning to ride. Awkward at first, but not hard, and once mastered riding a recumbent is as easy as any bike, but much more fun.

From a neck fatigue perspective one of the important differences between a recumbent and an upright is that you aren't holding your head up, but rather balancing it on you shoulders. It's a far more relaxing position that allows you to look around, ahead and up with no effort. With an upright the head drops down after an hour or so, your neck begins to ache, and and you don't see much further than the first few yards ahead of your front wheel.

BTW, The difficulty of riding a recumbent bike to the uninitiated has a hidden advantage so don't let it put you off. Your bike doesn't suffer from the same risk of theft as an upright. Opportunistic theft depends on the thief being able to cycle the goods away. Wheeling a recumbent away isn't the best option for a bike that attracts attention wherever it goes.

Most have the option of a neck rest

First of all it is NOT a head rest, it supports the nape of the neck (thus allowing helmets if you are that way inclined)

They also tend to transfer frame vibration, so use when in motion is not always comfortable

starhawk

All of my trikes have two mirrors mounted, one each side on the handle bars,

I used to have them there too, but it doesnt work very well, when you turn the mirrors are pointing in a not very helpful direction. Now I have mounted them on ICEs Helping Handles works much better!

byegad

Legendary Member
I used to have them there too, but it doesnt work very well, when you turn the mirrors are pointing in a not very helpful direction. Now I have mounted them on ICEs Helping Handles works much better!
Hence the glasses mirror. Anything the bar mirrors don't get the glasses mirror does.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
So what do you people who know the score reckon to one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PERFORMER...208?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1ea1027af8

That is the very model that I have- bought off eBay last year. Over 3000 trouble free miles (apart from mud guard brackets breaking)
Steve at A1 Adventuresports gave great service and it arrived in less than 3 weeks. You can negotiate a little bit too. I got carrier and mudguards thrown in - and was pleased to get trigger shifts instead of grip shifts.
I was lucky not to pay import tax - but budget for it if you go this route.

Attachments

• 20140415_143004.jpg
    20140415_143004.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 63

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I would certainly say that buying new, it's a lot of trike for relatively little money.

Attachments

• IMG_20140910_114130.jpg
    IMG_20140910_114130.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Thanks, it is a purchase intended for the medium term future rather than the immediate, probably early next year as I will see the summer out on my DF. My next purchase will definitely be a 'bent and that fits the bill nicely. Increasing age and more brittle bones make the prospect of coming off less attractive so a recumbent trike is the way I intend to go.

The chance to try something completely different is also rather exciting. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, I've yet to hear of anyone saying they regretted buying one and I've gained a fair insight into what I need.

Top Bottom