So, I got this frame....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ORrecumbent1

I picked up a Sun EZ SPeedster frame and was wondering how hard it would be to get it back on the road? It literally is the frame and a couple other parts like the forks, stem and front pedals and sprocket. The stem part is missing the handle bars and the lower pin of some sort that keeps it from moving. Could this be replaced with another steering setup while keeping it similar?

Sharky

Guru
Sounds like an interesting project. Photos would be nice.
Good luck

Tim Hall

<googles>Ah, it's a recumbent of some sort. You might be up against a bit more of a challenge to get that roadworthy, seeing as it sounds like custom bits are missing.

Pictures, as Sharky says, will help.

OP
OP
ORrecumbent1

ORrecumbent1

I'll get a pic of it tomorrow. It is at the bike shop I volunteer at and they are closed for the day now. Here is a pic of one all together. The part I'm talking about is the quick release pin at the bottom of the steering column. Sorry for my terminology but, I ain't cycle savvy!

Zrlqwq8.png

I figure everything else is pretty much standard bike stuff right?

Attachments

• o3FmcXI.jpg
    o3FmcXI.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

PpPete

Legendary Member
I found this:
The new Sun SWB’s employ a pivoting stem riser to facilitate entry/exit to/from the bike’s cockpit that is pretty similar, though not identical to that of the popular P-38 from Lightning. The handlebar/stem setup consists of a pivot joint, a straight alloy stem riser, a wedge stem and handlebars of the open cockpit kind. The wedge stem is secured to the stem by tightening the top bolt which jams the wedge inside the stem riser tube and also by locking a pressure collar at the top of the stem with a quick release lever. The pivot joint can be locked in place with a quick release lever. The handlebars are attached to the top loading wedge stem via a pair of bolts. While I think this setup is more complex than I think is necessary, it does provide for an infinite range of handlebar adjustments.
The article lacked pictures of the stem arrangement so I googled P38 cockpit:
87fdbdf72ed3fcbdcc8b4773ea300b5b--cockpit-wwii.jpg

rc_P38_3.jpg

No doubt there are cycle chatter who are expert in this kind of cockpit....

Ajax Bay

Guru
Best of luck.
Funny, the post right above yours show's the exact item I was referring to plus, there is a red arrow pointing to it.
And a healthy level of humour (I think); so early in your membership of Cycle Chat. :welcome:
Excellent post, @PpPete but can we have a red arrow pointing to the exact item next time, please? PS LEL anonymised data is 'up'.

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I'll get a pic of it tomorrow. It is at the bike shop I volunteer at and they are closed for the day now. Here is a pic of one all together. The part I'm talking about is the quick release pin at the bottom of the steering column. Sorry for my terminology but, I ain't cycle savvy!

View attachment 387076

I figure everything else is pretty much standard bike stuff right?
Am really surprised you are allowed that on the road. Surely that crank should have a guard on it:wacko:

OP
OP
ORrecumbent1

ORrecumbent1

Am really surprised you are allowed that on the road. Surely that crank should have a guard on it:wacko:

That is just a picture of the model of bike I am going to rebuild. Right now, I've just got the frame and a few pieces attached to it. Mine actually has a guard attached. I'll get some pictures today when I go down to the cycle shop. There is no rule that I am aware of that requires cyclists here to have a chain guard on their bike. I'll look into that just to make sure.:smile:

OP
OP
ORrecumbent1

ORrecumbent1

Well, I keep being told that this project probably isn't going to be worth the time and it looks like finding parts is almost impossible. I am going to abandon this and try and save up for a Bacchetta Giro 20. I really like the looks of that bike!!:smile:

Attachments

• iaC1ufL.jpg
    iaC1ufL.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 40
  • MrmlEBF.jpg
    MrmlEBF.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 48
  • h9ho4l6.jpg
    h9ho4l6.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 64
  • QIL1rNf.jpg
    QIL1rNf.jpg