So I've got a Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I met a group of Brompton riders in Holmfirth doing an ultra-hilly 100 mile Peak District ride so it is doable. But I'm bad enough on hills to happily accept all the advantages a standard road bike gives me. Thinking about it, it'll stay in the garage for now. If we go to the seaside for the weekend it can come with us. I always drive the family mad on these hols so going off for a couple of hours is probably good for everyone

View attachment 466694
Like I said, lunatics.

GM

Legendary Member
I'd do what @Fab Foodie once told me. If my garage was on fire, the Brompton would be the first bike that I'd save.

Kell

Veteran
I met a group of Brompton riders in Holmfirth doing an ultra-hilly 100 mile Peak District ride so it is doable. But I'm bad enough on hills to happily accept all the advantages a standard road bike gives me. Thinking about it, it'll stay in the garage for now. If we go to the seaside for the weekend it can come with us. I always drive the family mad on these hols so going off for a couple of hours is probably good for everyone

View attachment 466694

The guy on the left is on a hire bike too - that's only a 3-speed.

si_c

Guru
Looks good, I think you'll probably get more use out of it than you think. I'd like on on the one hand, but then being over 6'5" I reckon I'd look more like a clown than most people.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
They end up being a surprisingly useful bike.
I've toured Provence on mine, travelling by Eurostar. It's flown to NZ, been on a bus, and I have nascent plans to take it to the Alps on a train and go up a chairlift with it, to avoid a tedious load of climbing.
Mines a somewhat-kludged M12R, using the 6 speed hub / rear mech combination and a 50/34 compact chainset, as recommended by Fabbers.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Surely any bike can do that?

Isn't the Brompton principle that when folded it is small enough to be classed as luggage and taken on busses or trams, and can be folded and taken into the office when arriving at work? You don't need that for a ride to the pub or shops....

Aye, but when drunk, you've not got as far to fall with those small wheels, and I'd have to be drunk to ride one ! :tongue:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

View attachment 466694

The guy in the blue is Roger Seaton who rode his Brompton in the Transcontinental Race last year
He got 1200km before the Alfine hub broke and he had to scratch.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Aye, but when drunk, you've not got as far to fall with those small wheels, and I'd have to be drunk to ride one ! :tongue:
heresy.jpg

The Brom is definitely my ride of choice when it's snowy, as there's far less of it to get tangled with when things get slidy...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Isn't the Brompton principle that when folded it is small enough to be classed as luggage and taken on busses or trams, and can be folded and taken into the office when arriving at work? You don't need that for a ride to the pub or shops....

When you get to the shops or pub, you take it in with you rather than lock it up outside.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
For me the best thing about a Brompton is that it is so simple to put it in the car and drive to an area I dont know to ride. Yes you can do that with a normal bike but its a lot less faff with a Brompton.

Julia9054

Guru
Looks good, I think you'll probably get more use out of it than you think. I'd like on on the one hand, but then being over 6'5" I reckon I'd look more like a clown than most people.
I'm 5ft4 and feel just the right size for mine. I reckon you'd end up with a bad back

Top Bottom