So I've got a Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Why not see if you can take it with you on your next Far East trip and (assuming you have the spare time), see how you and it get on together.
Can you take them on planes as hand luggage? My long haul flights are usually in business (ooh, get 'im) so plenty of luggage allowance but not sure if it would be allowed

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I fitted a 40 tooth chainring which gives nice low gears but limits my top speed on the flat to about 18 mph. Good for climbing hills tho’. It lives in the back of my car and gets regular use whenever I am away from home.

mitchibob

Über Member
View attachment 466708

The Brom is definitely my ride of choice when it's snowy, as there's far less of it to get tangled with when things get slidy...

But I'm guessing the mechs get snowed up pretty quick being so low down. You're braver than me though. I remember doing my paper round on my BMX in my youth, and getting a tip from a guy I wasn't even delivering two at the top of a little hill because "he admired my pluck". The short times I was actually riding the bike that day, there was enough snow for a soft landing I guessed.

A tiny amount of snow, I can deal with, as long as I've got Marathons on. Beyond that, I just don't want the injuries ;-)

mitchibob

Über Member
When you get to the shops or pub, you take it in with you rather than lock it up outside.

Absolutely. I do not own a lock. Bike fits in trolley at supermarket. Fill the other half of trolley with shopping, then that'll fit in the T-Bag. Can always take in with me at coffee/beer/food stop. Less grams to carry :-)

kais01

Regular
one good feature with the brompton is to have it in the boot of your car when you go someplace where its hard or expensive to find parking.

you can leave your guests on location, then park a few km away where space is more available, and then come back on the bike.

another good asset is lessening theft risk by bringing it inside, at home or at destination.

u_i

Über Member
Normally I commute to work by bike, but on occasions I must take a car to accomplish one thing or another. Parking however is so bad in the morning around my work that I still throw in a folder into the trunk just to ride between the location where I manage to park and my building.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm 5ft4 and feel just the right size for mine. I reckon you'd end up with a bad back
With the longer seat post, steel or titanium available, my S type is perfect for me at 5’11”. They also do an extending seat post for lanky beggars.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
So an update....

I've had the Brompton for about 20 months and I've only used it once; a couple of miles back home after dropping the car off at the garage

It's cluttering the place up so it's just gone on the 'Bay. Should make decent money by the look of things

Top Bottom