So many punctures.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markharry66

Über Member
Been cycling into croydon 125 miles per week. Over last few weeks had nothing but punctures. I have two different bikes and have been riding a spare bike for last three days. The roads are pretty shocking with pot holes everywhere.
I have tried puncture resistant tyres. I have pumped tyres up to 100 psi. Just wondered if its something I am doing wrong.

U

User6179

Been cycling into croydon 125 miles per week. Over last few weeks had nothing but punctures. I have two different bikes and have been riding a spare bike for last three days. The roads are pretty shocking with pot holes everywhere.
I have tried puncture resistant tyres. I have pumped tyres up to 100 psi. Just wondered if its something I am doing wrong.

What tyres are you using ?

OP
OP
markharry66

markharry66

Über Member
On first ron hutchinson equinox. Second more heavy duty one not sure what make is off top of my head, but its supposedly puncture resistant

U

User6179

Try schwalbe marathon plus, roll a bit slower but very good punture resistance.

I used to have Serfa Seca tyres with a supposed 'flat protection system' and got punctures and slashes all the time, even on brand new tyres.

I've used Gatorskins inflated to about 110psi for commuting for the last 6 months and haven't had a single puncture or obvious defect yet. They are not the stickiest tyres though and I do worry a little in heavy rain when they feel like they are about to aquaplane at any moment. Reviews seem a bit mixed.

adds21

Rider of bikes
How old are your tyres? My experience is that even (maybe especially?) puncture resistant tyres start to puncture quite easily as they get older. I generally only get about 4,000 miles before I start to get punctures, even it the tyre doesn't look too worn.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Are you checking your tyres before and after every commute? It's essential you do that. Especially when the roads have been wet. Get into the habit of checking. Takes a minute. Dig out anything that's sticking to the tyre. It will save you a lot of pain later.

I am commuting 140 miles a week on the pot holed, crap strewn streets of SE London. I have only had 2 punctures this year. My tyres are Durano Plus'.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Your tires just need replacing. There will be a point where you get a few regularly and that's the point you need to replace.
I live in Croydon and so always have to travel though part of it to get somewhere and I've only had 2 flat tires this year.

The pot holes aren't the problem ( as long as you don't go over them), you want to watch out for glass and loose stones.

Wooliferkins

Forgive me if I'm passing you an egg to suck, but, you have got out of the tyre whatever was causing the original problem? +1 for dont ride through pot holes. Hutchinson Equinox are 66tpi (threads per inch) tyres, never going to give you much in the way of protection. Head up the food chain on your tyre choice. Conti Gatorskins, GP4000, Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech, Schwalbe Marathon. Marathon+ or Durano will give you a better chance. They cost more but no point investing in false economy

Davidc

Guru
Are you checking your tyres before and after every commute? It's essential you do that. Especially when the roads have been wet. Get into the habit of checking. Takes a minute. Dig out anything that's sticking to the tyre. It will save you a lot of pain later.

I am commuting 140 miles a week on the pot holed, crap strewn streets of SE London. I have only had 2 punctures this year. My tyres are Durano Plus'.
ianrauk is 100% right. I'll add:

How carefully are you checking the tyres after each puncture?

It's obvious that you need to identify and remove whatever caused the hole, but often the cause is repeated - so one glass fragment or screw or splinter etc. is near another. The result is that if you don't catch them those repeats get embedded in the tyre and cause another puncture soon afterwards.

When the rubber deteriorates you'll find more bits stuck in when doing ianrauk's type of check. That often happens long before the tyre looks worn out, but allows more punctures.

J.Primus

+1 for Durano plus here. Used to blow a tyre out every week before I changed. 2500 incident free miles on my current set.

Top Bottom