So many punctures.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
another puncture on the gators this time the front...although it was a big bloody splinter off something that was stuck in the tyre

inkd

I have to say that thanks to @ianrauk advice I read some time ago about checking tyres before every ride that I have not had a puncture since. I use Gatorskin on front and stock spesh nimbus on rear.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
As the others said, spend a bit more, and get a really puncture-resistant tyre, because it can be more economical in the long run. I also use Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. Generally, if you get repeated punctures, it's an indication that something is stuck in the tyre, so until you remove it, the punctures will recur. Also, I really must try not to overuse the word puncture, or the puncture faeries will notice me :dry:.

runner

Guru
I would second the vote for the Conti GP 4 Seasons, done 3000+ miles of commuting on them over the past year, and not had any problems. They have worn a bit over the summer, but nothing major. You can even see where nasty things have tried to puncture, but only got through the rubber layer, I think this is reassuring...

It's amazing someone's great tyre is another cyclists downfall, I had conti GP 4 seasons put on my kinesis last year and had a puncture immediately and another one later on the same week!! I removed and replaced with Gatorskin hardshell which are much better but not puncture proof (they also do not grip great in the wet...just have to be careful..found out the hard way) I am considering buying the Schwalbe M+ for winter use, I know they will be heavy but no punctures is prob worth the lack of performance.

ianwoodi

3000 miles plus and still not had a puncture running gp 4000 I have never changed a tube on a ride in my short cycling life must stop one day on road and change the tube for the fun of it:laugh:

I used to run 4seasons; they'd p'ture first ride but then for me at least they were good for 3500 miles, no p'tures then they p'tured every 2nd ride, a good sign they were worn out, can't complain about their grip or roll, just the price the main reason I investigated Michelin Krylions (now pro 4 endurance) and I've not been dissapointed they offer similar performance and better wear :-)

Last edited:

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
ive had to change back to the nobbly 35s that my cx came with front puncture on the gatorskins closer inspection revealed a small stone stuck right in there...removed but the tear is right through so aint risking it....waiting on my 4 seasons arriving.....never ran the nobbly 35s....this is gonns be slow

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
23 miles on the ritchey excavadors faster than i expected tbh...avg 17.4mph avg rpm 86 .combined with a 21 mile spin session in the house

waiting on my 4 seasons arriving

I steer clear of gators not a fan. Not great in the wet and also a sod to change tube
I've heard that but I borrowed one and done thousand + miles on it over winter 2011 (in all conditions) and found it a very grippy tyre; I could be wrong but I think people who report that they are skittish may be running them too hard. I cant comment on changing tube because it never p'tured for me :rolleyes:

Top Bottom