So many punctures.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thanks for advice will get four seasons. Had gators before sod to get off bike

PS they ain't cheap, but they are good and they wear well. 220g each, and not half a tonne like Marathons.

SomethingLikeThat

Über Member
Didn't have a puncture for about 4 months and then I get two on two different rides in a row. Someone did a great job of spraying thorns and over crap all over the road after they cut the hedges.

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
marathon plus....heavy though....i used to use them on long rides to murder on hills....but not a single puncture in 2000 miles.....switched gators lighter and faste but have had several punctures in the space of a few months

Hip Priest

Veteran
I used to have Serfa Seca tyres with a supposed 'flat protection system' and got punctures and slashes all the time, even on brand new tyres.

I've used Gatorskins inflated to about 110psi for commuting for the last 6 months and haven't had a single puncture or obvious defect yet. They are not the stickiest tyres though and I do worry a little in heavy rain when they feel like they are about to aquaplane at any moment. Reviews seem a bit mixed.

It is impossible to aquaplane on a bicycle.

Davidc

Guru
Not true.

All you have to do is travel at somewhere in excess of 70mph (very fat tyres and light rider) to 100mph (tubs and a heavy rider).

Now, if you'd put "It is impossible for anyone except superman to aquaplane on a bicycle" that would have been fine!

Edit: I've seen the thread and watched the video with Cav doing 100kph since writing this. I may need to recalculate!

Last edited:

Linford

Sounds like an obvious thing, but make a point of not riding over hatched area's, and ride out from a kerb a bit more
My motorbike tyres are about £130 each, and I stay away from wanywhere I might run something over.
Don't want punctures on the roadie, so try to do the same.

Will probably get one now on the way home tonight :biggrin:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Another vote for Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase

When people say they have aquaplaned, they often just mean that their tyre broke away from the road surface.

I ride a lot in the Malvern Hills and the Beacons, where there are quite a few fast, bendy descents.

I avoid white lines and shiny repairs, but I still get 'moments' when my front or (more commonly) rear wheel seems to judder or slide sideways for a split second.

This sort of thing, when happening at speed or near vehicles, has a tightening effect on the bravest buttocks and puts a cold and instant shiver through the skin.

Some people might wrongly refer to it as aquaplaning, but whatever it is called, some tyres are more resistant to it that others.

Linford

I've aquaplaned in a car, and also on the bike in my avatar when I hit standing water. I was probably doing about 70 at the time officer ;)

Davidc

Guru
I've dieselplaned a good many times! Not sure if there are tyres that combat that - if there are let us all know.

In the distant past when I rode a motor bike it was even ore scary at the higher speeds.

Stephen C

Über Member
I would second the vote for the Conti GP 4 Seasons, done 3000+ miles of commuting on them over the past year, and not had any problems. They have worn a bit over the summer, but nothing major. You can even see where nasty things have tried to puncture, but only got through the rubber layer, I think this is reassuring...

Top Bottom