So much for the great puncture proof Schwalbe Marathon Plus super tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Vittoria are OK but seem to cut up quicker IMO.

Both my road bikes had Vittoria tyres as standard - the Rubino Pros seemed really good until the weather turned and I found they suffer from a lack of grip in the wet, especially when climbing / putting the power down.
The Zaffiros on the other bike were good tyres but did cut up quickly, although I had no visits from the fairy on either set.

Both were replaced with Continental Gatorskins, which I'm more than happy with. German engineering where you need it most on a bike...:okay:

dim

Both my road bikes had Vittoria tyres as standard - the Rubino Pros seemed really good until the weather turned and I found they suffer from a lack of grip in the wet, especially when climbing / putting the power down.
The Zaffiros on the other bike were good tyres but did cut up quickly, although I had no visits from the fairy on either set.

Both were replaced with Continental Gatorskins, which I'm more than happy with. German engineering where you need it most on a bike...:okay:

if you like Continental, and want a 'robust' tyre, Continental 4 seasons are a lot better than Gators and Gator Hardshell IMHO.... and I have used Gators, and they suck in the wet (Durano+ are also much better than Gators, both in grip and puncture resistance)

as for Marathon +, if you have 3 punctures in a short time period, you are very unlucky .... I don't think there is a more puncture proof tyre on the market, unless you go for solid rubber ... My daughter has a heavy Dutch Bike with loop frame and basket, and she cycles to work 6 times a week .... she has been using the same Marathon+ tyres for 4 years and not 1 puncture yet .... the tyres still look as though there is a few more years left in them

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
if you like Continental, and want a 'robust' tyre, Continental 4 seasons are a lot better than Gators and Gator Hardshell IMHO.... and I have used Gators, and they suck in the wet (Durano+ are also much better than Gators, both in grip and puncture resistance)

Thanks for the advice - I've had a set of Gators on one bike for over a year and they did me all through last winter and a couple of wet sportives (one very wet!) and never missed a beat - I've not had any problems with them in the wet but you're not the first person to mention that to me. I've heard good things about 4 seasons, but even on promotion they're nearly double the price I paid for the Gators and I'm reluctant to spend that much more when the Gators have performed so well for me.

Tiger10

Über Member
Unfortunately tough light and fast can rarely be combined in one tyre.
Even tractor tyres get punctured occasionally.
Allways seems to be the way that you go ages without a fairy visit then get 2 or 3 in close succession.
I can verify this as i had 3 punctures in close succession one autumn, found the problem in the end ......it was a rambler!!!:angry:

mustang1

Legendary Member
I had a problem with my M supreme plus after a couple of days but I can't blame the tire for that. After that incident, I had no further problems until i gave the bike away a couple of years later. Sorry you had problems with it though, always a bummer when something doesn't meet expectations.

MarkF

Guru
[QUOTE 4579221, member: 259"]I never check mine. I've even stopped carrying a repair kit. Which is probably a bit daft.[/QUOTE]

I am the same, haven't carried a repair kit for years when I ride the 2 bikes I own shod with M+'s. The Discovery 501 has done many 1000's of miles in over a decade, on the same set of tyres and without one puncture, usually on rough, debris littered surfaces. They must be the cheapest tyres considering how long they last.

byegad

Legendary Member
I carry this (or its £2 aldi clone) for the wet and cold but I ride most days and think I average about one a year:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW0vXnaefhs

It's a little messy (he edited out the bit where it splatters the rim and nearby floor with hard-to-remove sealant as you unscrew the canister) but it gets me home before my hands get cold. It's better to patch when you can because the tube is toast after using a can IMO and should be replaced fairly soon before the valve sticks open.

Me too. That and CO2 inflator gets me home 95/100 times.

OP
OP
Roadhump

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Some people here have achieved some great distances with little trouble from punctures....20,000 miles with only 1 deflation, blimey I wonder if that is a record?

I thought about sticking with M+ for the winter, but nowhere local had them in stock so I went for the Specialized All Condition Armadillo (went for the foldable version). I got 2 to avoid running an M+ on one wheel and a Specialized on the other - hoping to give them a try tomorrow.

Talking to the bloke in the LBS was a reality check I suppose. Although I have had 3 M+ punctures this year, 2 only about 500 miles apart, the third was after another 3,000 miles which he said was excellent, even on a tyre as tough as the M+. He said they are really good, tough tyres and more puncture resistant than most, the All Condition Armadillos are supposed to be pretty good too, and should give a better ride, but probably won't get 3,000 miles without a puncture....and I shall be carrying a repair kit in anticipation...

:bicycle::evil::bicycle:^_^

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've run armadillo tyres before, they're pretty dependable. Rather run a folding bead tyre with a puncture every 1500 miles than a tyre that has a reputation for being awkward when trying to change tubes and get one every 3000.
My last armadillo was a more sluggish ride than a M+ and it didn't puncture easily but when it failed, it got a sharp stuck between the rubber and the protection in a sort of bubble which was completely impossible to remove at the roadside. Cue long walk home. :sad:

Top Bottom