So much for waterproof overshoes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Sorry for the bump - I was just wondering if you've managed to "test" the Luminites?

I'm looking to order a pair this week and just thought i'd get a bit more feedback first. :thumbsup:
So far, so good... but they've not had a proper test yet.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) that looks like it will be sorted in about 2hrs time – following what was a calm but cloudy morning, it seems to have turned into monsoon season, with horizontal rain and very bendy trees here. If this weather keeps up, it'll be a test for sure, and I'll post an update tonight :thumbsup:

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
So far, so good... but they've not had a proper test yet.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) that looks like it will be sorted in about 2hrs time – following what was a calm but cloudy morning, it seems to have turned into monsoon season, with horizontal rain and very bendy trees here. If this weather keeps up, it'll be a test for sure, and I'll post an update tonight :thumbsup:

Took the plunge and ordered a pair last night along with pedals, socks and a buff for the winter. :biggrin:

Hopefully these will be a great addition.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Took the plunge and ordered a pair last night along with pedals, socks and a buff for the winter. :biggrin:

Hopefully these will be a great addition.
I'm sure you'll be happy with them GazP, and sorry for not updating – turned out the weather going home on Monday was just windy and not wet!

However, this morning I endured 1hr of constant "light" rain (nothing torrential), which coupled with very strong winds gave the Luminites at least a bit of a test.... I'm happy to say that visibly the water was staying on the outside, and apart from a bit of dampness in the very front toe section (the stretchy bit underneath that hooks over the front isn't the same material as the top), the insides were dry when I arrived at work. I suspect this was caused by excessive spray from the front wheel (had to go through a very large puddle!), so all in all, I still think they're up to the job :thumbsup:

Given today's conditions, I'd say they're windproof too – my feet were toasty :whistle:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
+1 for Endura overshoes. They've kept me dry. Or maybe you've already bought something new by now.
As mentioned above, got Endura Luminites and they're doing the business so far :thumbsup:

pshore

What type of tape do you use if you do not mind me asking. Just that my Specialized BG shoes are like a pair of sieve's.

I have Specialized BG shoes and Endura road shoe covers and my feet got totally soaked on tour. My hypothesis is that the water was not coming down my leg into the shoe, it was coming up from the base.

The shoes have holes in the side (which is a good feature in hot weather). The covers although waterproof on the outside, have some sort of fluffy material on the inside that soaks up water and allows it to travel up to the side holes in the shoe.

I also have tried the neoprene Endura overshoes and they are very splash proof but start to get damp on all day rides. Plus they kept popping off at the toes on my Shimano shoes.

I have mostly given up on overshoes and now ride with waterproof/winter shoes when it is colder.

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
I'm sure you'll be happy with them GazP, and sorry for not updating – turned out the weather going home on Monday was just windy and not wet!

However, this morning I endured 1hr of constant "light" rain (nothing torrential), which coupled with very strong winds gave the Luminites at least a bit of a test.... I'm happy to say that visibly the water was staying on the outside, and apart from a bit of dampness in the very front toe section (the stretchy bit underneath that hooks over the front isn't the same material as the top), the insides were dry when I arrived at work. I suspect this was caused by excessive spray from the front wheel (had to go through a very large puddle!), so all in all, I still think they're up to the job :thumbsup:

Given today's conditions, I'd say they're windproof too – my feet were toasty :whistle:

No worries fella, there was enough positive comments about them anyway so i took the plunge. Last two days we've had rain on the way home so got quite wet. Good to hear you're also positive so far on them.

Do you tend to wear them all the time? (ie as a windbreaker as well when its dry) or just when you think rain is forecast?

I guess it's only going to get colder now so if they do the job of keeping feet warm then all the better, i may well end up using them all the time. :thumbsup:

(Plus i've got to get used to cleats at the same time!! :ohmy:)

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
No worries fella, there was enough positive comments about them anyway so i took the plunge. Last two days we've had rain on the way home so got quite wet. Good to hear you're also positive so far on them.

Do you tend to wear them all the time? (ie as a windbreaker as well when its dry) or just when you think rain is forecast?
Given that rain is continually forecast here, I've been wearing them every morning when I set off just in case :biggrin: Opted not to wear them going home tonight as the sky had cleared. Started raining 5 minutes from home... I should've known!

I guess it's only going to get colder now so if they do the job of keeping feet warm then all the better, i may well end up using them all the time. :thumbsup:

(Plus i've got to get used to cleats at the same time!! :ohmy:)
You'll love cleats – I was a little unsure at first, but after my first ride wondered why I hadn't got them sooner :thumbsup:

Another tip to keep your feet dry, a lot of surface water hits your feet from the front wheel, in fact I would say the majority, just for winter I would put a long mud flap on the front mud guard, it makes a huge difference [ask any long time CTC member].

400bhp

Guru
Bought a pair of Endura MT500 a few days ago. This was the first day I tried them out.

Very impressed - key seems to be getting the right size. :thumbsup:

However, caught them on a wire fence and managed to put a small hole in them :angry: Will have to see if some Duct tape will work. :sad:

Top Bottom