So much for waterproof overshoes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Thanks folks :thumbsup:

My overshoes are advertised as waterproof (link). My old ones were definitely waterproof apart from the bottom and the leg hole (link)
Any particular reason you changed from one to the other?

Also have the Endura overshoes, not as thick as neoprene but completely waterproof, I've had them for 2 years now, no complaints. I've always felt there was a gap in the market here, for years no one made a good fitting waterproof overshoe, but this one does the job, I find it's even warm enough for all but the very coldest of winter days.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...rtnerID=2324&gclid=CPKpmZi0iKsCFYELfAodHyhl2g - its the Luminite model, hope that helps.
Well that's several votes for the Endura Luminite.... spookily enough, I was just over on the CRC website having a nose around. I no longer trust the term "waterproof" in writing, so it's good to know that actual user experiences have proved these to be an effective solution.

Now, what about waterproofing the shoes? Can I spray them with the stuff they always try and sell you when you buy normal shoes, or is there a better more appropriate product to use on my synthetic upper MT42 shoes??

martint235

Dog on a bike

No not really. My old ones are looking a bit knackered so decided to replace them and actually had the same ones in the basket but then at the last minute decided I fancied a change.

Well that's several votes for the Endura Luminite.... spookily enough, I was just over on the CRC website having a nose around. I no longer trust the term "waterproof" in writing, so it's good to know that actual user experiences have proved these to be an effective solution.

Now, what about waterproofing the shoes? Can I spray them with the stuff they always try and sell you when you buy normal shoes, or is there a better more appropriate product to use on my synthetic upper MT42 shoes??

If you mean your cycling shoes, not heard of anyone trying it, but the overshoes never need any treatment, just a sponge down when they get dirty.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
If you mean your cycling shoes, not heard of anyone trying it, but the overshoes never need any treatment, just a sponge down when they get dirty.
Yes, I was meaning the shoes.... they're still wet 4hrs later despite being stuffed with newspapers and tucked under the desk behind my Mac Pro tower (i.e. a nice warm place!). Thought it was worth protecting them a wee bit, although I reckon I'll end up trying the Luminite overshoes anyway.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
What type of tape do you use if you do not mind me asking. Just that my Specialized BG shoes are like a pair of sieve's.
I used black insulation tape on the vents on the bottom last year and it seemed to keep my feet a lot warmer and dryer than with the holes exposed. The problem leaving the vents open on the bottom is the cleat holes on the overshoes let water and freezing air into the sole vents. I have changed this year to Specialized BG shoes myself so will have to have a look later. Not ready for any taping up yet though we are still on BST.

david1701

Yes, I was meaning the shoes.... they're still wet 4hrs later despite being stuffed with newspapers and tucked under the desk behind my Mac Pro tower (i.e. a nice warm place!). Thought it was worth protecting them a wee bit, although I reckon I'll end up trying the Luminite overshoes anyway.

replace the newspaper after a bit when it soaks up the water, dries them from the inside much quicker :biggrin:

Been following this and other overshoe threads for a whilke, as I needed a new pair. My last ones (Trek?) were good, but always too small and eventually I pulled hard once too often and that was that.

Wanted some Alturas because they fix with velcro and have an open sole to go over my MTB shoes, but they were out of stock, and I could only find conflicting reviews on everything else I looked at.

In the end I went for the BBB Heavy Duty - as these are supposed to fit an MTB shoe (I use 45 size Spesh BG MTB as they are wider). I ordered a size larger (47/8) to be sure they'd not be too small - but Cycle Sports UK sent me 45/6 in error. :angry:

However, tried them on and they are a perfect fit over the cleats and MTB sole - no pulling and stretching required. So a BBB 45 overshoe does indeed fit nicely over a 45 shoe.

They are supposed to be 'waterproof' but I see one reviewer only gives them 2/5 for watertightness - so we will have to see. But they look well made, and although they don't have a reinforced sole, provided I don't walk too far in them I hope they'll do me a year or two.

The overshoes market seems to be a right nightmare...............

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Been following this and other overshoe threads for a while, as I needed a new pair....

...the overshoes market seems to be a right nightmare...............
Cheers Andy.

I ended up going to my LBS and picking up a pair of Endura Luminites (as mentioned earlier in this thread, several times). The guy in the shop was confident that they are waterproof, having had personal experience of both the velcro-fit Luminite and the zip-up rubbery-looking 'Road' ones also on display.

Whilst it wasn't raining cats and dogs on my commute yesterday, it was "spitting" and there was enough surface water – and the occasional cycle-path-width-puddle – to give the overshoes a test splash. The good news is that the water all stayed on the outside, so, touch wood, I'm hoping that when the heavens do open, the Luminites will put in a better performance than the Planet-X ones did :unsure:

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
I'm another who's been following these overshoes thread and you post above confirms i should just go out and order the Endura luminite shoes from CRC. Haven't ordered the M520 pedals yet (though i've got new shoes! :smile: ) so i'll order both at th e same time i think.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I'm another who's been following these overshoes thread and you post above confirms i should just go out and order the Endura luminite shoes from CRC. Haven't ordered the M520 pedals yet (though i've got new shoes! :smile: ) so i'll order both at th e same time i think.
I'll report back my findings once I've had the opportunity to give the Luminites the "Scottish rain" test :biggrin:, however too many people were recommending them here (as was the chap in the LBS) that I thought it was a safe bet to just go for them!

bobones

Veteran
How do you find the sizing of the luminites? According to the packaging I should go with "L" for size 10, but I've read a few reviews that suggest going for one size larger.

bobones

Veteran
Hmm, I'm a 44. I think my hand may be forced in that all the shops round here are sold of of size L. XL it is then! Thanks

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
I'll report back my findings once I've had the opportunity to give the Luminites the "Scottish rain" test :biggrin:, however too many people were recommending them here (as was the chap in the LBS) that I thought it was a safe bet to just go for them!

Sorry for the bump - I was just wondering if you've managed to "test" the Luminites?

I'm looking to order a pair this week and just thought i'd get a bit more feedback first. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom