So should they ban smoking at the wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No.

Peyote

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I say yes...it's as dangerous as using a phone...what say you?

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on the banning issue, but I disagree with it being as dangerous as using a 'phone.

Smoking is an automatic action, once lit a cigarette requires very little concentration (for a regular smoker anyway). Talking on the 'phone requires the driver to maintain concentration on the conversation to the detriment of their driving. I say that's more dangerous.

Neither are sensible though!

jonesy

Guru
Peyote said:
I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on the banning issue, but I disagree with it being as dangerous as using a 'phone.

Smoking is an automatic action, once lit a cigarette requires very little concentration (for a regular smoker anyway). Talking on the 'phone requires the driver to maintain concentration on the conversation to the detriment of their driving. I say that's more dangerous.

I agree. The main problem with phones is the distraction, which is why hands-free phones were found to be no safer than hand-helds in trials. And of course phones still have to be dialed, numbers looked up etc etc.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
so no-one here has ever had smoke get in their eyes and been temporarily blinded by it? and what if they drop a lit ciggy into their lap?

and anyone that's had a dimp flung out the window and hit them in the face certainly won't bemoan the lack of opportunity of experiencing it again. :biggrin:

KitsuneAndy

Peyote said:

So don't ban smoking while driving, just ban lighting them while driving :biggrin:

ash68

no point in banning it. Hasn't stopped people using their mobiles while driving,has it?

gbb

Legendary Member
I dont smoke....
No, they shouldnt ban it. Why should they ?
'Percieved' danger ? I cant say i EVER heard of anyone causing an accident through smoking while driving.
Wheres the statistics ? Wheres the justification ?

There arent any. Its just another plain case of this government imposing unnessassary laws on us all....and at some stage, someones going to pass a law that YOU disagree with, and you will think its a loss of your right to reasonably choose to do something.

Perhaps they will take the DNA of smoking drivers as well...another erosion of our human rights is on the cards.

Too much finger pointing, too much interfering in other peoples business....we are one sad lot in this country.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Downtube shifters should be banned on bikes as they involve taking your hand off the bars, possibly causing you to lose control and swerve into an orphanage where you go through the doors of the boilerroom causing a massive explosion and slaughtering 92 children.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Smokin Joe said:
Downtube shifters should be banned on bikes as they involve taking your hand off the bars, possibly causing you to lose control and swerve into an orphanage where you go through the doors of the boilerroom causing a massive explosion and slaughtering 92 children.

would that be just shimano ones, or campag ones too?

greenmark

Guru
This isn't about banning smoking in cars. Basically there is new guidance in the Highway code which has been sensationalised by some of the media. The actual paragraph is:

Safe driving and riding needs concentration.
Avoid distractions when driving or riding such as
- loud music (this may mask other sounds)
- trying to read maps
- inserting a cassette or CD or tuning a radio
- arguing with your passengers or other road users
- eating and drinking
- smoking

You MUST NOT smoke in public transport vehicles or in vehicles used for work purposes in certain prescribed circumstances. Separate regulations apply to England, Wales and Scotland.

One bullet point mentions avoid being distracted by (for example) smoking and people think it's the nanny state banning smoking for drivers

col

Legendary Member
mjones said:
I agree. The main problem with phones is the distraction, which is why hands-free phones were found to be no safer than hand-helds in trials. And of course phones still have to be dialed, numbers looked up etc etc.

It would seem that chatting to a passenger in the car is dangerous too then,mmm i have seen some car drivers turning round to chat /argue,this could be dangerous,but chatting while looking ahead as normal,im not so sure.

stevenb

I don't think they can stop smoking at the wheel.
In essence it's all distractions, smoking, the radio, passengers talking etc.....but these things are instinctive whereas a moby is dangerous as we all know......especially when drivers on phones negotiate roundabouts etc. as well as the conentration involvement.

Top Bottom