So should they ban smoking at the wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Was it lit?

col

Legendary Member
Now worries,it will float of into the stratosphere,im guessing you blow em up and play at balloons in the car.

gbb

Legendary Member
Cab said:
You suspect that the vast majority of smokers don't, say, stub cigarettes out on the street, thus creating litter? Really?[/QUOTE]

This really sounds more like Soapbox every post ;)
That wasnt the arguement Cab.... i didnt say that, i didnt infer that.
You cant just throw anything into the arguement...and claim to read someone elses mind or know what their behaviour may or may not be.

FWIW, of course SOME smokers litter with their butts....everyone on this planet does something wrong sometimes...maybe even you ;)

Big Bren

It seems that the Blair governments' habit of creating new laws rather than simply making sure that the existing ones are robustly enforced is contagious. There are perfectly adequate littering laws that prohibit smokers from dumping their detritus, from car windows or otherwise; no need then to 'ban it', simply a need to enforce more aggressively.

To suggest by the way that anything other than a tiny minority of smokers dispose of their filthy dog-ends properly is utter balls.

Bren

Cab

gbb said:
This really sounds more like Soapbox every post ;)
That wasnt the arguement Cab.... i didnt say that, i didnt infer that.

Cool, thanks. I wasn't picking, just seeking clarification.

You cant just throw anything into the arguement...and claim to read someone elses mind or know what their behaviour may or may not be.

FWIW, of course SOME smokers litter with their butts....everyone on this planet does something wrong sometimes...maybe even you ;)

I do plenty of things wrong I'm sure. None spring to mind just right now though...

Just really bringing it up because its a pet hate of mine. Many smokers (not pointing at anyone in general) seem to litter their cigarette butts all over the place. Just seems unacceptable to me.

Cab

As far as I can tell, this minor change in the highway code simply means that if you're multi-tasking on the road and have an accident you might just have that held against you. Ugly term, 'contributory negligence'.

So someone is smoking, talking on a hands free, faffing about on the radio etc. then it might be used against them in deciding if the accident they had was partly their fault.

Is that a good change in the highway code? Well, yeah, maybe.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Bigtallfatbloke said:
I say yes...it's as dangerous as using a phone...what say you?

I don't smoke anymore but I used to drive perfectly safely whilst smoking.

Equally, I know some people who I'd rather passenger with holding a fag in one hand and phone in the other and feel a hell of a lot safer than some other drivers with both hands gripping the wheel.

Some can do it and some can't.

I disagree with the driving on the phone law too. I think the law was powerfull enough before, if it was distracting you from driving safely, you could be charged for it.

Thats the problem with these specific laws, they don't allow for differing levels of competence. Almost smells like another government money making scam to me.................

col

Legendary Member
col said:
Probably,i always stub it and bin it,but even when im with others chatting,most just throw them.When a council official gives them a fifty pound ticket ,that might help them change.;)

Sorry i meant to add not after probably,im agreeing with you again cab,im going for a lie down now;)

My point was to say the risk is increased by distraction and nicotine addiction, esp. when said drug is running short in the blood stream. The addict reaches for another dose to calm the craving, whilst aiming vehicle vaguely in the required direction. You are the one to see this infers dangerous homicidal mania. On the other hand, perhaps it is....

Top Bottom