So tired

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zombiemiked

I am so tired and have lost all motivation to train. I take medication for depression as well. Should I push through this and get out or wait until it passes. I have no access to a turbo trainer or gym.

RAYMOND

Hi
I know what you mean about lack of motivation, the only time i get that is with the crap weather.
You should try plodding on,maybe go for a walk instead, or find someone to go clcling with.
The more you chat to someone the more you'll get into it.

Its hard to do anything when you are on medication for depression (regretfully been there and done that). I know I always felt better when I got out, but coming up to the most difficult time of year also does not help. If you were local to me, I would offer to come out with you, but you have not posted where you live.
The tiredness could also be a side effect of the medication. I noticed that I was struggling harder with tiredness when I needed to come off my meds, without knowing more (and I am not suggesting you post it on an open forum) it could be that your meds need reviewing.

And as Raymond says, keep posting - the company (even at a distance) will help.

Davos87

Guru
Sorry to hear about your depression but most health professionals would advise that exercise is an a excellent natural remedy for alleviating depressive symptoms.........release of endorphins etc. Obviously keep taking the medication described for you until your doc says otherwise but making the effort to get out in the fresh air and have a blast on the bike I am sure would help. Best of luck.

OP
OP
zombiemiked

zombiemiked

Thanks guys. I live near Cardiff but all the cyclists I know are Mountain Riders. Will have to focus on a day and go for it. I know I will feel better when I am out.

compo

Veteran
I am so tired and have lost all motivation to train. I take medication for depression as well. Should I push through this and get out or wait until it passes. I have no access to a turbo trainer or gym.

Don't train. Just go and have a gentle ride as much as you are comfortable with. Raymond suggested a walk which is an excellent idea if you don't want to cycle. Whatever you do just get out of the house for fresh air and a change of scenery. Good luck with it.

Thanks guys. I live near Cardiff but all the cyclists I know are Mountain Riders. Will have to focus on a day and go for it. I know I will feel better when I am out.

there are some beautiful roads around there, (as well as some seriously dangerous ones), but try setting yourself realistic targets. Set a day and know that that is what you are going to do that day. Don't say once a week and get to the end of the week without having done it - its so easy to do and I know from experience and too much of it!

How is the weather with you today? Up here near Chester it is beautiful. Hoping to get out once the new freezer has been delivered and the annual gas safety checks carried out...

OP
OP
zombiemiked

zombiemiked

Weather is grey and drizzly. Very miserable indeed. My plan is exactly what you suggest above.

andsaw

Hi fella, i too suffer i have cyclothymia a form of bipolar and find it hard some days, i start off saying i dont really want to be doing this today but after five minutes i feel better then start to push and push and when i have finished i feel exhilarated its great medicine, but thats me, but be careful start slow then build up, determination is the key i say.

byegad

Legendary Member
As a depression sufferer myself I'd urge two things on you.

1. See the doctor and tell him/her how you are feeling. I was once put on a new wonder anti-depressive and came close to topping myself before I realised the pills were making me worse. A change of medication worked for me.
2. Ride, no matter if it's not 'training' just ride your bike, enjoy the ride, stop and look at the view/wildlife/girls in short skirts/ men in bathing trunks, whatever is your bag. Forget training and go for a ride. I always feel better after a ride.

Col5632

Guru
As a depression sufferer myself I'd urge two things on you.

1. See the doctor and tell him/her how you are feeling. I was once put on a new wonder anti-depressive and came close to topping myself before I realised the pills were making me worse. A change of medication worked for me.
2. Ride, no matter if it's not 'training' just ride your bike, enjoy the ride, stop and look at the view/wildlife/girls in short skirts/ men in bathing trunks, whatever is your bag. Forget training and go for a ride. I always feel better after a ride.

That sounds like some sound advice to me, cycling always makes me feel happier even if i struggle on the ride :thumbsup:

Hip Priest

Veteran
It is hard to advise in these circumstances. If you feel lethargic due to depression, then a little exercise could do you the world of good. On the other hand, you may just be physically tired, in which case a period of rest, good food and early nights would be better.

If you're worred, go see your GP. Best of luck.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Wishing you well as you journey through this illness. I agree with everything said above - just a pleasant ride out - no need to push yourself to the limits of human endurance, and beyond - no need to race - just get out and even if you do get wet you will feel lifted. I have a road bike for most commutes but once a week I am on my BSO with child seat on the back. I'm far more inclined to take it easy on that bike, no pressure to keep up appearances. I use shared use cycle paths and amble along like Miss Marple and it is actually quite pleasant.

I wonder if you might like to reward yourself with a fine pasty, doughnut or similar after going for a gentle ride somewhere ?

That sometimes helps me feel more motivated, and I have the double pleasure of a nice outing in the fresh air, with a delicious cake to think about at the end.

Or a large iced chelsea bun and a nice cuppa ? I'm sure Cardiff has a selection of artisan local bakeries you could aim for - perhaps one per ride to keep your racing-snake physique though...

I'm off to the bakery now, actually. Thanks for helping me think of that.

Sorry to hear about your depression but most health professionals would advise that exercise is an a excellent natural remedy for alleviating depressive symptoms.........release of endorphins etc. Obviously keep taking the medication described for you until your doc says otherwise but making the effort to get out in the fresh air and have a blast on the bike I am sure would help. Best of luck.

So why dont many people end up at the gym after a funeral service? I believe that if theres a physical cause such as a death, redundancy etc then exercise wont do much. He needs to tackle the root cause of his depression and I would agree what others have said about counseling or something.

Top Bottom