So what bike are you commuting on + link a picture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peejay78

the three speed is great - i used to have a hopper that i repaired after finding it under the stairs rusting in a communal area of a block of flats. it had a dynohub and everything. i sued to commute on the fuji, a few pages ago, now i commute on this:
1274391940_5fbf9219f9.jpg

although it now has white bar tape which looks much nicer.

currently a bit confused, had 48:18 on the fuji, thought it was 16, never bothered to check, now have 48:16 on this, and it is quite a bit bigger. will either make or break me i guess.

Freewheeler

Hmm, your bike looks just a tad quicker than my shopper ;)

Nice clean lines too.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
2007_06290001.JPG

This is mine, just after I got it a couple of months ago.
Now sporting SPDs and a Carradice Barley bag.

But those amber reflectors are 'outta there'!!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Not uncomfortable with the saddle nose that high?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
gambatte said:
Not uncomfortable with the saddle nose that high?

Very :ohmy: Not so much while riding, but afterwards, yeah, especially this week.

I figured that out today, and angled it down (I'd taken the bike out of the garage for the pic and to do some seat height adjustments).

I wish I'd had a proper look at it 3 weeks ago though :blush:

mikeitup

Veteran
re:

I have a Carrera Fury 07 mtb. Have just upgraded the tyres to Schwalbe Road Cruisers 26x1.75 for my commute. (they have made a hell of a difference) I have added, a topeak wedge saddlebag, topeak front and rear lights, cateye micro computer and a lizard skins chainstay protector. I have also replaced the grips with ODI X-treme lock ons (really good!) and am about to put on Shimano M520 clipless pedals and a new wtb laser saddle.

here are some pics:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/mikeitup/fury07cust01.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/mikeitup/fury07cust02.jpg

oh yes... forgot my crudcatchers!

caesar

Here's mine:

4941.jpg

I sometimes get asked why I have a disc brake on a fixer - the answer is that:

a) It's not a fixer: I've got a freewheel on at the moment because I haven't plucked up courage to ride fixed in London traffic yet!
:blush: The front hub is a Schmidt dynamo and when I was buying the parts I thought that when the rim wore out I'd have to wait for the wheel to be rebuilt or buy an expensive new wheel. Slightly neurotic perhaps, and it's moot anyway now as I ended up building the wheels myself!

I agree with you Mikey, I think it is irresponsible.

I know that a fixie can use leg braking (I ride one myself) but it is impossible to stop a fixie with leg braking as it is by using brakes. I was recently having a heated, erm, discussion(!) with a friend who rides a brakeless fixie, he maintained point blank that he could stop very fast on it "Nearly as quick as with a brake if I do a skip-stop."

We tested it in a 20-0mph emergency stop. Unsurprisingly I stopped a LONG way before he did, and with far more control over the bike. It settled that part of the argument, but he still thinks that brakeles is perfectly safe.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I think it's quite possible to become very skilled with leg braking, but the best leg brakers will only ever approach the stopping ability of a rear brake. We all know that's a small fraction of the stopping power available from a front brake. I don't want to ride without a front brake because I'd have to ride slower. Risk compensation in action or what!!!

Still, aren't back-pedal (coaster) brakes and no front brake legal in some countries?

Top Bottom