So.....which is it to be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
Steel bike or the carbon bike to ride the LeJOG?

My carbon bike is 17.8lb, ready to go.

My Reynolds 853, custom made bike comes in at 23.2lbs, but that's with triple chain set, proper mudguards and the GPS unit and mounting bracket. However, if I take the SL's wheels off the carbon bike and on to the steel bike, the weight reduces down to 21.4lb.

The plan was always to ride the steel bike with 32 spoke wheels on the LeJOG, but now I am thinking that the carbon one might be better, even if it doesn't have mudguards.

I can swap the triple chain set and associated bits and bobs over myself so that not a problem, but is it worth the effort just to save 3.6 lb, assuming that I keep the SL wheels fitted, otherwise if I keep with the 32 spoke wheels it will be 5.4lb?

Both bikes are great in their own way.

The steel bike is very comfortable and is quite a fast frame, as it is based on race geometry anyway. But it does have the triple, which does not get used that often, but its there if I do need it.

The carbon bike is very light, it climbs like a demon and picks up speed with very little effort. The down side is that it can feel a little harsh compared to the steel frame, but I have done quite a few 100 miles rides with no problem. The riding position is oddly better than the steel frame as the bars are 3/4" higher.

Wotcha think?

PS
Its also worth mentioning that we plan to do it in 8 days, so I will need every bit of help I can gain from anywhere!

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
[QUOTE 1153535"]
Forget weight, speed and all the other stuff apart from comfort.

Go on the bike that you feel most comfortable with on a long ride.
[/quote]

To be honest, its much of a muchness, as I have ridden both bikes over equal length distances. However its also fair to add, that I have never done 8 x 120+ miles ride on 8 consecutive days before!

Hence my late thoughts about trying to make life a little bit easier for me?

GrasB

Veteran
Forget weight unless you're going for a speed record or something. I'd go for the steel one with conventional wheels as it'll be that little bit easier to fix on the road side if the worst happens.

Garz

Squat Member
or I would push for Ti personally!
laugh.gif

willem

Über Member
Any difference in possible tyre sizes? Wider would be significantly better for comfort, and comfort rules. Moreover, if you like the higher bar of the carbon bike, why not raise the bar on the steel one, now and forever? I would be weary of light wheels, by the way. If you wanted to use them, perhaps only for the front wheel?
Willem

Ben M

Take the carbon, if the wheels on it are up to taking the weight. If they aren't up to taking the weight then swap the wheels over from your steel.

Top Bottom