So who's been losing my debit card data, then?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
A letter from my bank the other day said:

"We have identified that a number of cards, including yours, may be at risk following a recent data compromise at an internet retailer".

While I am happy that they seem to be pretty hot at stopping fraudulent use of the card, I am a bit miffed that for "legal reasons" they won't tell me who lost my confidential data.

But I only use Wiggle, Chain Reaction, and Amazon regularly. Has any other customer of any of these retailers had a similar incident lately?

I've used both CRC and Amazon recently without any letters (so far, touch wood)

dbg

Hey Punky what happened to the Discovery Road book? - I did ask if you wanted to do a swap

OP
OP
NickM

NickM

Veteran
punkypossum said:
I've used both CRC and Amazon recently without any letters (so far, touch wood)
The first thing that happens is that your card is refused for no apparent reason... in my case, a couple of days before going to the Continent for a holiday.

The explanatory letter follows in due course about two weeks later. Banks... cuh.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
NickM said:
The first thing that happens is that your card is refused for no apparent reason... in my case, a couple of days before going to the Continent for a holiday.

The explanatory letter follows in due course about two weeks later. Banks... cuh.

i had mine ring me up. unfortunately, i did not have my cell phone on me when i went to get cash out to get the kids something to eat in town. :ohmy:

nothing was amiss, but at least they seem to be doing something about card security i suppose.

They look after the fence around the field I give them the cow to put in the field on condition that they look after it.

So ALL fence issues that are not due to my misuse of the fence are down to them.

I do not really mind too much if they lose money to fraud, it is not really my money they are losing it is theirs. Just because it is taken out of "my" accuount does not make it my loss. Security is their job. That is what you use them for.

Night Train

Maker of Things
yenrod said:
Very true 'over'.
Agreed, that is (should be) why we pay extortionate fees for our banking.

Top Bottom