So Why Do Cyclist Get So Much Abuse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
This fellow uploaded it to youtube which is helpful as you cant get the codex for the video off the website.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNcrWTm-iXs

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/vodcast/default.htm
Its an NZ or AUS piece so i'm actually shocked.
A very good piece. Covers from both sides and the logic of it. While adding a bit of comedy keeping it on the ground firmly.

According to this a average cyclist has a incident with a driver once every 2 weeks which doesn't surprise me but on the other hand as I will spin it means what cammers capture is not out of the ordinary. Although it is AUS and they hate everything.

Last edited:

Hip Priest

Veteran
If I was getting abuse once a fortnight then I'd examine my riding style.

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
If I was getting abuse once a fortnight then I'd examine my riding style.
According to this psychologically it may make no difference. You only have to exist. (there will be other factors plus it doesnt go into detail what type of incidents - close passes could be accounted.)

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I don't think cyclists are subjected to any more abuse than any other road user. It says something that you've had to look as far as Australia to dredge up this video of contrived nonsense.:sad:
I'm sure there is plenty of stuff. This only came out 1 or 2 days ago so its considered new. So by sharing it likely no ones seen it yet. Regardless of where its from its still an interesting piece and since its from AUS only makes it more fascinating(given AUS culture to bikes).

Hip Priest

Veteran
According to this psychologically it may make no difference. You only have to exist.

I don't get abuse every fortnight, and I can assure you that I exist! The last time I can recall a driver shouting at me was towards the end of last year when some scally told me to 'get off the road you c**t'. Oh, and I had a carful of student lads beep their horn at me earlier this year.

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
well I enjoyed it, and going to share it, thanks for posting

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I don't get abuse every fortnight, and I can assure you that I exist! The last time I can recall a driver shouting at me was towards the end of last year when some scally told me to 'get off the road you c**t'. Oh, and I had a carful of student lads beep their horn at me earlier this year.
Which is also why its based on a average person and it only applies statistically to 77% of a those studied. It does not mean every cyclist or you alone will experience an incident with a car every 2 weeks non stop. In addition to that I would imagine the statics being somewhat better here as AUS has an abysmal driver to cyclist culture.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
"Abuse once a fortnight" Even I dont get it that much (or give it). At a push, I would say about every 3/4 weeks I have someone shout at me. But that is from a passing car, the typical stuff that every cyclist gets.
The video is very general. Define 'abuse' - Is it just someone shouting at you, beeping their horn, getting out and approaching you? The programme was a little funny to start but very general. If you are going to do a story and research it, you need to provide facts to support your argument.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
ive never been shouted at or abused by any motorist whether on a commute or weekend ride. been riding nearly 3yrs now

amaferanga

Veteran
Last abuse I had was "f@ck off" from a passenger in a car that turned right across my lane (I half expected it so I braked to avoid it - if I hadn't the car would've hit me). Time before that was the same abuse when a guy pulled out from a junction (LBFTS) - "f@ck off" again and again had I not braked then he'd have hit me. Seems to be the standard abuse when a dopey motorist almost hits a cyclist through poor awareness. Every couple of weeks seems about right if you have to ride through busy city streets regularly (Bolton and Manchester for me).

What bugs me is that on my bike the default in any kind of encounter is abuse, but as soon as I get to work (I'm a scientist in th nhs) then people couldn't me more respectful. I could probably take a dump in front of someone at work and still be treated better than when I just ride my bike through the city....

Top Bottom