So Why Do Cyclist Get So Much Abuse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Its rare and unusual for me to get shouted at, the last time the car was doing a a u-turn out of a line of stationary traffic and I shouted at him to make him aware of me and stop him reversing out of the driveway he'd turned into across me, a bit further up the road I heard a load of gobledegook shouted out the car window as he drove past, which could have been anything.

I find most road users skilled, courteous and polite. It cannot be that I ride around in a fantasy bubble... this must also be the case in one or two other locations.

Occasionally a pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist or motorist behaves in a way I find discourteous or potentially dangerous, but it barely rates a mention when I get home.

I've been over a couple of bonnets and been slammed into the verge, the kerb or the tarmac a few times, but as often through my own inattention or skill deficit as those of another.

Everyone (as far as memory serves) who's biffed me has been apologetic immediately afterwards and witnesses have been helpful.

I believe some cyclists do attract threats and abuse, but I fear that some may contribute to it by taking it upon themselves to comment on and correct the road behaviour of others. We've had some examples from some Cam Warriors on these pages.

Last edited:

king dick

It all starts at school when people that walk home shout at people that ride. The cyclist are more motivated and focused whilst a percentage of the young lads that walk are throwing their weight around and dragging their heels. The chip on their shoulder starts right there plus at school a new bike is one of the few ways a youngster can show wealth and also pride. this is resented by some and carried on into later life.
All of this old waffle on 2 cans of Guinness lol I dont arf talk some tosh just dont tell ghe other half I admit it.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
In terms of verbals, I've given out a lot more than I've received. On the other hand, in terms of dangerous, stupid and impatient driving, I've received 100% more than I've given - on a bike or in a car. Hence the verbals.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've been riding daily in West and Central London for about five years now. I don't think anybody has threatened or abused me. When doing night rides out of London, you tend to get a bit of lip from boozed-up kids at closing time, but I think that's mainly because there a large number of cyclists at an odd time. It's mainly the grog talking.
I have certainly shouted abuse after close shaves that were not my fault. Not much, but more than I have received. I'm not proud of it.

U

User6179

A few months ago I got beeped and wolf whistled at by a car full of young girls..... it was dreadful and I have been a nervous wreck ever since :thumbsup:
Sorry that was me, get out the fkn way you road hogger :smile:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I might be tempting fate but i haven't had an abusive encounter with a motorist,white van man,wagon driver,pedestrian,disabled scooter rider etc for a month or so.If you dress to be seen and observe the highway code 99 percent of other road users will give you some space. However,when we encounter the nasty 1 percent we have problems!:thumbsdown:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I might be tempting fate but i haven't had an abusive encounter with a motorist,white van man,wagon driver,pedestrian,disabled scooter rider etc for a month or so.If you dress to be seen and observe the highway code 99 percent of other road users will give you some space. However,when we encounter the nasty 1 percent we have problems!:thumbsdown:
Sometimes we are the nasty one percent.

sheffgirl

I've never had any abuse. A driver of a wide vehicle beeped at me once for holding him up ( I think, maybe he was thanking me for getting off the road and onto the cycle path). I'd seen him behind and decided to take primary to avoid any close overtakes. There was a whole other lane of the dual carriageway if he really wanted to get in front anyway.

"Abuse once a fortnight" Even I dont get it that much (or give it). At a push, I would say about every 3/4 weeks I have someone shout at me. But that is from a passing car, the typical stuff that every cyclist gets.
The video is very general. Define 'abuse' - Is it just someone shouting at you, beeping their horn, getting out and approaching you? The programme was a little funny to start but very general. If you are going to do a story and research it, you need to provide facts to support your argument.

I see the riding attitude you present on these pages is mellowing, which is a most excellent thing. Keep it up!

Nonetheless, getting shouted at once a month or so is not, as you describe it, " typical stuff that every cyclist gets". I don't think I even get that once a year. i ride in the Three Counties (benign, but scarily fast roads) and Central London (broadly insane roads). I ride a lot.

I do commend your softening attitude, but I do not recognise a world in which it is typical or norman for a cyclist to get shouted at... and I am not one of those 6'5" meatheads with biceps like a normal man's thighs.... I am small and no longer in the shape I like to think I used to be in... so it's not fear that keeps them from yelling.

markharry66

Über Member
Like anyone I get cut up, right hooked etc. I really dont see any point in confronting them. If red mist descends just walk off. I just cant see the point in trying to educate. Or even inform drivers where they have gone wrong.
They are not going to listen to someone or take someone seriously who is wearing hi-viz and lycra.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sometimes we are the nasty one percent.

Spoke with my elderly Mum yesterday; she lives in a Wiltshire village called Downton. There have been arrow signs erected and all day yesterday cyclists were flooding down her lane - I wonder if there was one of those Wiggle sportiffs going on? She told me she had seen several examples of cyclists behaving abusively towards drivers and even towards the odd villager going about their business and she was appalled. This is a very fit woman aged 83 who walks miles a week, goes to a gym and rides a Specialized hybrid, not some fusty old biddie, by the way.

Top Bottom