So Why Do Cyclist Get So Much Abuse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

I, and those I usually cycle with, are rarely on the receiving end of anything I'd consider abuse. However I've been on a few rides with the local cycling campaign who have a few members who do seem to go out of their way to provoke incidents, and take great relish in doing so. Every year they organise a mass ride through the town, and whilst it is, on the whole, a good natured 'celebration' of two pedal travel, there are the tosspot few who take great delight in trying to provoke the drivers patiently waiting for us to pass by. To say they are the (self-styled) voice of local cycling they are really doing more harm than good with their smug self-righteous attitude. I'll have nothing to do with them these days

Like most thing is life, the 99% good ones are hardly noticed and are quickly forgotten, but the dickhead 1% are remembered and we all get put in the same pigeonhole

Last edited by a moderator:

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Excellent post from Boris! You are spot on brother.
As some have said, quite a few cyclists I've seen in London do tend to thrive on incidents with motorists. There is good and bad amongst both parties.

oldroadman

Veteran
I, and those I usually cycle with, are rarely on the receiving end of anything I'd consider abuse. However I've been on a few rides with the local cycling campaign who have a few members who do seem to go out of their way to provoke incidents, and take great relish in doing so. Every year they organise a mass ride through the town, and whilst it is, on the whole, a good natured 'celebration' of two pedal travel, there are the tosspot few who take great delight in trying to provoke the drivers patiently waiting for us to pass by. To say they are the (self-styled) voice of local cycling they are really doing more harm than good with their smug self-righteous attitude. I'll have nothing to do with them these days

Like most thing is life, the 99% good ones are hardly noticed and are quickly forgotten, but the dickhead 1% are remembered and we all get put in the same pigeonhole

The observation re-stated, 99% of all people are OK, 1% are not. Quite why some people provoke incidents (seen it) when they are clearly more vulnerable than the perceived "opposition" is a mystery.
The militant tendency exists in all walks of life, they usuallu get the (underserved) attention, because people carrying on normally and co-existing comfortably with a bit of give and take and a smile is not news.
The cycling militants do no-one any good except perhaps other militants who share inflated egos. Maybe they should all become politicians!

Nonetheless, getting shouted at once a month or so is not, as you describe it, " typical stuff that every cyclist gets". I don't think I even get that once a year.

I don't believe you. And given that you have form for down-playing bad behaviour on the roads and posting untruths about dead cyclists in order to imply that they were at fault in the accident that killed them I can safely say that there are good reasons not to believe you. You make up stuff to attack dead cyclists.

The last time it happened, about a month ago, an oncoming driver on a mobile outside Micawbers Tavern failed to indicate and turned into my path. "Whaoh!" I said. "Sorry!" he said. "Put your phone down" I said "Eff off" he replied. Did I escalate it by asking him to put the phone down, or did the incident begin when he nearly hit me?

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
It's not a problem for me I just pay them a visit with a ticket book. £100 fine for Section 5.. "Press Hard 3 Copies"
I always wondered that. If someone does that to you on the road, say shouts abuse at you. Can you visit them in uniform and give them a ticket for example or is there something stopping that from happening.

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I don't know why you are so swift to discount that as a possible explanation, give that you so often post from one
He needs to stay off them hallucinogenics.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I always wondered that. If someone does that to you on the road, say shouts abuse at you. Can you visit them in uniform and give them a ticket for example or is there something stopping that from happening.
I would be surprised if anyone had ever been threatened, charged, or prosecuted under section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986 in circumstances which had not involved (allegedly) swearing at a police officer

Top Bottom