So will F1 change under new ownership

Change yes or no

• YES

Votes: 27 73.0%
  • NO

Votes: 10 27.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Which question are you asking as there appears to be two? In the title you are asking will it change under the new management, but in your post you're assuming there will it change but asking will it be for the better or not, please make up your mind

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Which question are you asking as there appears to be two? In the title you are asking will it change under the new management, but in your post you're assuming there will it change but asking will it be for the better or not, please make up your mind

changed so you can understand hope you enjoy it

Will F1 change? I am sure some elements of the overall F1 "bubble" will change. More or different TV / cable / internet access.

But will the fundamental problems change? Probably not. The top teams seem to have got into a position where they hold the sports governing body by the short and curlies, and any changes which are not in the interest of the top teams are rejected.

And always, the solution to any problem is to introduce more complex technical regs which then require teams to throw even more money at it. Which the lower ranked teams don't have, thus keeping the top teams on top.

I would like the cars to be more diverse. By scrapping a lot of the detailed regs, and thus giving designers a freer hand in creating the cars.

Oh, and while we are at it, I would like to scrap all pit-to-car and car-to-pit radio/text comms. Just allow messages to be broadcast from race control to all drivers in the event of track conditions changing - i.e. oil spills, rain beginning. Drivers would have to manage out problems for themselves, not rely on an engineer with a laptop and a huge excel spreadsheet, calculating optimum lap times and relaying them to the car, or changing car settings remotely....

Rant over.....

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The trend towards racing on new, boring circuits in cash rich countries with absolutely no interest in motor sport will speed up faster than a Manor Racing car.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Will F1 change? I am sure some elements of the overall F1 "bubble" will change. More or different TV / cable / internet access.

But will the fundamental problems change? Probably not. The top teams seem to have got into a position where they hold the sports governing body by the short and curlies, and any changes which are not in the interest of the top teams are rejected.

And always, the solution to any problem is to introduce more complex technical regs which then require teams to throw even more money at it. Which the lower ranked teams don't have, thus keeping the top teams on top.

I would like the cars to be more diverse. By scrapping a lot of the detailed regs, and thus giving designers a freer hand in creating the cars.

Oh, and while we are at it, I would like to scrap all pit-to-car and car-to-pit radio/text comms. Just allow messages to be broadcast from race control to all drivers in the event of track conditions changing - i.e. oil spills, rain beginning. Drivers would have to manage out problems for themselves, not rely on an engineer with a laptop and a huge excel spreadsheet, calculating optimum lap times and relaying them to the car, or changing car settings remotely....

Rant over.....
Double like.

F1 is storing up long term problems by moving away from it's roots and abandoning it's traditional base in Europe which has all of the iconic circuits that form the history of the sport. They may make money by going to the far east but the races lack atmosphere because the circuits are boring and the stands are empty, if those countries find another toy there will be nothing to come back to. Going to pay TV only is a huge mistake, only a sport like football can get away with that and even then there is still plenty available on free to air channels. How many forums now have threads on Moto GP? Interest has gone through the floor since it went off the BBC and although they are coining it from TV deals that won't last without a strong traditional fan base. Twenty five years ago Superbike world champion Carl Fogerty was a household name, now few non fans are even aware the Superbike class exists, let alone know any riders.

byegad

Legendary Member
A lot to agree with here. I've been following F1 since the 1960s, it has always been 'in crisis'. However modern aerodynamic aids and boring new tracks have killed any real racing. If you want to see proper racing watch BTCC on ITV.

I attended a talk at Durham University in the 1990s by the then chief of Honda's Aerodynamics Team and he was well aware of the issues. Once cars are generating a lot of down-force and so cornering grip, it becomes impossible to follow a car through a corner and so be able to slip-stream past on the next straight. Fixing this with the Drag Reduction flaps they use now has done nothing to improve racing, although you could argue racing would have been much worse without it.

As to the new generation of tracks, while a safety area to ensure nobody dies for getting a corner wrong is a great idea the general layout of these tracks does nothing to encourage close racing.

At the lecture the chap said that with fewer regulations, other than say a 3 box requirement (The front axle and wing sit in one box of given dimensions, the body in another and the rear axle and wing in the third.) . His team could produce a car in which the cornering G forces would be so high that many existing S bends on today's (1990s remember) circuits would give enough force on the driver that his neck would snap. The purpose of almost all the other regulations was to slow the cars down to avoid this and other issues.

D

Deleted member 26715

But that is not feasible unless the cars change & effectively go backwards in technology, they are so complex it's impossible for a single driver to know what every combination of switches will/would do. As somebody has said if you want that type of racing then BTCC & classic racing is probably for you. Will it change F1, yes, will it be for the better only time will tell.

D

Deleted member 26715

I see it as an identity crisis, what is F1 for? If it is for manufacturers to use to showcase their developments which will one day appear on their road cars, active suspension, ABS, cleaner burning engines, aerodynamics, then vast swathes the restrictions need to be taken away & let them get on with it, 4 wheels, driver sitting on arse, feet behind the front axle, 1.6L engine, petrol, minimum weight xxxKgs, engine in rear, anything else goes.

Or do you want to find the best driver in the world, then they all have to be exactly the same car, GP1 which failed.

Top Bottom