So yesterday I bought a copy of...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
The website is fun too, very much MTB orientated of course, but a healthy mix of advice and **** taking.
There are of course the usual nobbers aplenty, and if the content is anything to go by, it caters largely for a particular self-deprecating demographic of 40 plus bearded IT experts with too much time on their hands, relaxing with a single malt or a niche fairtrade espresso in front of their craftsman built woodburner, debating wheelsizes and thinking nothing of spending £5k on a weekend fun bike. go and have a browse.

It contrasts directly with a certain element on here who want an all singing all dancing MTB for £250 but insist on fitting a rack and mudguards for commuting....:whistle:
5K! :wacko:
They don't really live in the real world do they?
I am medically retired and don't get a pension or benefits. We rely on my husbands rubbish wages and I had to save hard to find £500 for my new bike!

U

User482

5K! :wacko:
They don't really live in the real world do they?
I am medically retired and don't get a pension or benefits. We rely on my husbands rubbish wages and I had to save hard to find £500 for my new bike!

Don't knock them - people like that are my source of top quality second-hand bikes!

U

User482

Have you seen how mentioning Audis gets folk frothing at the mouth here on Cyclechat? I thought I'd gone far enough with the espresso.......^_^

I don't mind Audis, but do wish that they would be fitted with indicators as standard equipment.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I think @Spinney has it right - it's a good mag if read occasionally. I was given a subscription as a present last year, but as I say, it became very repetitive so I didn't bother renewing.
Quite possibly, though I thought the articles were more about the adventure than the kit it was done on, at least in this issue. So non of the puerile descriptions of the monkey greased space vacuum shock that made the whole ride possible, kind of crap but I guess it is aimed at a demographic like they all are.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I used to have an Audi estate......

....Oh damn, this things aimed at me isn't it. I've been suckered. Only my native meanness separates me from the demographic. I'm going to console myself with beer and carrot cake and complete the circle.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I couldn't get past the new-to-me word 'nasely' in the OP.
Was there a battle there once, Crax?
I don't know what you're talking about ...... :whistle:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I used to have an Audi estate......

....Oh damn, this things aimed at me isn't it. I've been suckered. Only my native meanness separates me from the demographic. I'm going to console myself with beer and carrot cake and complete the circle.
Your belt might have something to say about that...

Sharky

Guru
I actually had a subscription to Cycling Weakly back in the 80's.:eek:
Nowadays I have a quick flick through it at Asda. Too many sportif articles & not enough coverage of the local racing scene.

Was that a deliberate spelling pun?
The "comic" does seem mostly full of adverts now and very little actual weakly news.
Best bits are the Helms cartoon and the reviews of mopeds, but haven't seen much of the latter recently.

Keith

http://gccimages.mikesavagephotography.net/GCC Archive/slides/Roger Wilkings0001.html

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I too, much out of character, found myself browsing the same said shelf in Sainsbugs yesterday (while some twot was disfiguring my car in the car park!) and I gave up in exasperation and walked away typically empty handed. It looked quite promising at first, one of the publications had Llandegla plastered on the front cover, and having been there a few times recently I flicked feverishly to the piece, hoping against all hope that at last there would be an article I could relate to.

I was to be disappointed however as it turned out to be a single page review of the café and it's bacon butties! Another article/mag? was a group test of bikes around £3-4k. They haven't changed at all.....

Globalti

Legendary Member
I waste as much time on Singletrack's forum as I do on here; the contributors are funny and sometimes less PC and there seems to be an amazing range of people who know a lot about different things. Woodburning stoves are a big subject on there.

*boasting mode* Have also had four articles published in Singletrack, one of which, The Packhorse Trail, I reproduced on here a few months ago.

Top Bottom