So yesterday I bought a copy of...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...Singletrack magazine for the first time and was quietly impressed.

I've largely given up with bike mags, finding the whiny, nasally, puerile articles a major turnoff, the group tests of the usual suspects no more than glorified advertising or aspirational arsery of the Top Gear kind and finding that in 300 pages of a 6 quid mag, 280 of them are advertising.

I was driven to buy it by the current state of my knees which are stopping me running or cycling. I was nurturing them with beer and carrot cake, not in the same glass but the other morning my belt reminded me of the terms and conditions of its use and apparently unnecessary strain is not one of them. So whilst in Sainsburys not shopping for beer and carrot cake I spied a copy of Singletrack and stuck it in the trolley. The fact I later found a beer in there at the checkout is neither here nor there. I can only think I must have brushed it off the shelf accidentally whilst getting the apple juice.

So the mag: Nice mix of articles, well written without the need to go large on the adventure, inspirational and yes, aspirational but not in a look at me and how smart I am, kind of way. Sure I'm not going to hop on a flight to Ecuador and go mtn biking but I enjoyed reading about those that did and all topped off with good photographs and not much advertising. There are still elements of the puerile and tests but it's all toned down to normal levels. It's the first bike mag I've read cover to cover in years. Who knows I may even get another.

Last edited:

ScotiaLass

Guru
Thanks, I may give that a read :smile:

U

User482

I gave up on it a while ago. The tiny white typeface used on dark backgrounds makes it all but unreadable, and I became increasingly bored with the endless cyclocross features.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I gave up on it a while ago. The tiny white typeface used on dark backgrounds makes it all but unreadable, and I became increasingly bored with the endless cyclocross features.
Ah well, it may be I find fault with it if I read it regularly but it felt refreshing compared to the usual wobbly dross that falls into my basket sometimes.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I think the thing with those mags is to only buy one occasionally. Ditto for walking mags, gardening ones etc. Then you don't get too bored with all the adverts, repetitive nature of the articles, etc.

I believe it is.

I might buy one and see how much it has changed:smile:

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
I actually had a subscription to Cycling Weakly back in the 80's.:eek:
Nowadays I have a quick flick through it at Asda. Too many sportif articles & not enough coverage of the local racing scene.

Cubist

Still wavin'
The website is fun too, very much MTB orientated of course, but a healthy mix of advice and piss taking.
There are of course the usual nobbers aplenty, and if the content is anything to go by, it caters largely for a particular self-deprecating demographic of 40 plus bearded IT experts with too much time on their hands, relaxing with a single malt or a niche fairtrade espresso in front of their craftsman built woodburner, debating wheelsizes and thinking nothing of spending £5k on a weekend fun bike. go and have a browse.

It contrasts directly with a certain element on here who want an all singing all dancing MTB for £250 but insist on fitting a rack and mudguards for commuting....:whistle:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

The website is fun too, very much MTB orientated of course, but a healthy mix of advice and **** taking.
There are of course the usual nobbers aplenty, and if the content is anything to go by, it caters largely for a particular self-deprecating demographic of 40 plus bearded IT experts with too much time on their hands, relaxing with a single malt or a niche fairtrade espresso in front of their craftsman built woodburner, debating wheelsizes and thinking nothing of spending £5k on a weekend fun bike. go and have a browse.

It contrasts directly with a certain element on here who want an all singing all dancing MTB for £250 but insist on fitting a rack and mudguards for commuting....:whistle:

I was with you up until the 5k :smile: And I don't have a beard these days. Funnily enough, there was an article on a mobile cycling baristo selling fair trade coffee, so I did laugh out loud when I read your post.

U

User482

The website is fun too, very much MTB orientated of course, but a healthy mix of advice and **** taking.

You forgot the Audi estate...

U

User482

Ah well, it may be I find fault with it if I read it regularly but it felt refreshing compared to the usual wobbly dross that falls into my basket sometimes.

I think @Spinney has it right - it's a good mag if read occasionally. I was given a subscription as a present last year, but as I say, it became very repetitive so I didn't bother renewing.

Top Bottom