So, you've just won £148m...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
£15,000 would be a life changing win for me. If I won £148million I'd give the vast majority of it away to charity and good causes in my local area. I'd also give a huge lump of money to my parents, pay off my sisters mortgages and give them a huge lump of money too. I'd also give up work for a year or two and spend my time cycling round the UK before settling back down into a job somewhere.

Crankarm

Guru
£15,000 would be a life changing win for me. If I won £148million I'd give the vast majority of it away to charity and good causes in my local area. I'd also give a huge lump of money to my parents, pay off my sisters mortgages and give them a huge lump of money too. I'd also give up work for a year or two and spend my time cycling round the UK before settling back down into a job somewhere.

Until your colleagues found out you had £147,999,950 in the bank, then you'd have to leave. And you would return to being an employee!!!! You clearly have no imagination or dreams to follow. You would need to employ some one, a small team, to deal with all the begging letters and then there is managing the huge amount of money which would be a full time job. Perhaps you would not be the best person to win such a large sum.

I think the thing to do is set up a foundation with clear aims of whom or what you intend to benefit.

Crankarm

Guru
Personally I'd buy/build a house somewhere nice, remote and hidden up in the Assynt Area/Ardnamurchan/Outer Hebrides/Shetlands, make it sympathetic to the surrounding area so it blends in, make it all from natural materials and glass, make it as energy efficient as possible, and give it a turf roof, just because I could. Heck maybe even build it into a hillside or a cliff face!

It would have to be in a truly remote (several miles just from the nearest road at least) and stunning location, but all cyclists/hikers would be welcome just as long as they respected the place.
That said, on building it, I'd need to find someone to share it with, but, hey ho.

Also, after seeing too many Scandinavian Detective series, I'd love a beach house somewhere over there.

Miserably crap climate, cold and wet. Isolating yourself like that you would more than likely become a mad old recluse which is going to attract a lot of people not which is maybe your intention, yes?

I would certainly quit the UK as a few unpredictable weeks of summer each year and a winter lasting 10 months is just grim. There are far more pleasant climates in which to live. As I say California or NSW in Australia.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I think the thing to do is set up a foundation with clear aims of whom or what you intend to benefit.
That's how I would deal with it.
Just giving it away means that it disappears very quickly. Investment, via a charitable foundation that is well run, would ensure that the steady trickle of funds continues long after the millions would have dried up. The foundation would then have the clear aims of helping people and organisations instead of just letting a few mates have a big old party.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I would
a) give up work;
b) have a large house in Scotland, and an apartment overlooking Sydney Harbour;
c) set up various trust funds and charity type things;
d) make sure family and friends were OK;
e) spend the rest of my life either in Scotland/Oz, or wandering around the world staying in whatever hotel/guest house seemed appropriate...but .. I would ALWAYS travel first class :smile:

Until your colleagues found out you had £147,999,950 in the bank, then you'd have to leave. And you would return to being an employee!!!! You clearly have no imagination or dreams to follow. You would need to employ some one, a small team, to deal with all the begging letters and then there is managing the huge amount of money which would be a full time job. Perhaps you would not be the best person to win such a large sum.

I'm possibly being a bit naive here but I don't see how colleagues would find out how much money I had in the bank unless I told them. Granted they would be suspicious if I was living a lifestyle beyond my wage. I do have a dream to follow; my dream is to get back on the railway as a Conductor and spend my spare time cycling. Railway shift work would provide me with pleanty of spare time to go cycling. Most people will possibly think that's a boring dream to have :smile:

I definitely wouldn't be the best person to win such a large sum (It could easily be the ruin of me.) which is why I have no desire to have that kind of money. As long as I've got enough money to pay the bills etc with a bit left over I'm happy :smile:

Crankarm

Guru
I'm possibly being a bit naive here but I don't see how colleagues would find out how much money I had in the bank unless I told them. Granted they would be suspicious if I was living a lifestyle beyond my wage. I do have a dream to follow; my dream is to get back on the railway as a Conductor and spend my spare time cycling. Railway shift work would provide me with pleanty of spare time to go cycling. Most people will possibly think that's a boring dream to have :smile:

I definitely wouldn't be the best person to win such a large sum (It could easily be the ruin of me.) which is why I have no desire to have that kind of money. As long as I've got enough money to pay the bills etc with a bit left over I'm happy :smile:

Perhaps I was being a little harsh, but the size of this sum brings with it it's problems as well as benefits. The sum is enormous and I don't think most can really comprehend what it entails taking it on. I guess if you are not a big spender then having such a large sum means that many every day goods and services cease to have a cost as their cost is tiny tiny in comparision just to the interest this sum generates. It really is welcome to the rest of your life without ANY worries about money. I think you could maybe buy your own railway line with £148 million in the bank.

I don't think you were being harsh Crankarm :smile:

I know I can't fully comprehend what it would be like having that much money; it's such a huge amount that to my mind it's pretty much just figures if that makes sense. I probably could buy my own railway line with £148 million. I don't think I could do any worse than some of the rail companies we currently have hehe. One thing I'd like to do if I had my own railway line is have more bicycle spaces on the trains.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I would
a) give up work;
b) have a large house in Scotland, and an apartment overlooking Sydney Harbour;
c) set up various trust funds and charity type things;
d) make sure family and friends were OK;
e) spend the rest of my life either in Scotland/Oz, or wandering around the world staying in whatever hotel/guest house seemed appropriate...but .. I would ALWAYS travel first class :smile:
<Ring Ring...Ring Ring...>
Hello?
Hi, its me. You OK?
Yeah, I'm OK. You?
I'm great. Bye!
<Click Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....>
:giggle:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Miserably crap climate, cold and wet. Isolating yourself like that you would more than likely become a mad old recluse which is going to attract a lot of people not which is maybe your intention, yes?

I would certainly quit the UK as a few unpredictable weeks of summer each year and a winter lasting 10 months is just grim. There are far more pleasant climates in which to live. As I say California or NSW in Australia.

You mistake me for a weather victim. I know fine well what the weather is like, I know what predicament I'd be getting myself into, but really, so what? I am not utterly neurotic about the weather like the average Brit seems to be. Heck I can barely remember what the weather was like yesterday! I just choose not to take much notice of it, that's all and I just wish other people would as well instead of all the utterly pointless bleating about it people like me always have to endure from the rest of you!! :rolleyes:*

Regarding isolating myself, well, I'd have houses elsewhere, I wouldn't live there forever more and as for drawing attention, I'd design the house in such a way that most people wouldn't even notice it - there you'd be, hiking in the middle of nowhere, and come across me, steaming cup of tea in hand... ^_^

* - NEVER talk to me about the weather, ok?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Thankfully, winning the Lottery is not a problem I need to think about.... so what to do with money I haven't got never occupies my thoughts.

Just to point out i don't buy tickets which is why I don't think about winning it- I haven't got independent means!

tadpole

Buy a big boat, and sail round the world, spending no more than 100 days in each place (for tax reasons) buy some land as a small holder (and hire a gardener for when I'm not there) , and a canal boat. give some money away. other than that I've not reall though about it.:laugh:

400bhp

Guru
I would not make it public, and as for the things above? Well, I'd bide my time and do things over time, not draw attention to myself. Also I'd donate my money to things anonymsly.

Good luck to the tabloids in finding me!

^^this for me too^^

...probably...would be hard not to walk out of work though-probably pay my boss to be quiet and go on "gardening leave".

And then I would come back and buy the company - no joke.

Top Bottom