So, you've just won £148m...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'd relieve the burden of rent/mortgage for all my friends and family... then try to work out what to spend the remaining 140odd million on.

I like the idea of buying an entire village.

If I won that amount of money I'd make it clear that I wouldn't give a penny to anyone who asked, if only to deter the parasite hangers-on.

Not that I ever will have but if I did have £148 million in my back pocket there's plenty of folk who've been kind to me and others over the years who I've not forgotten who would benefit.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I don't think I could spend that amount of money. I reckon I'd run out of ideas well before I got to the half million mark.

Give it to me and I'd do my best, there are several charities, local clubs and preservation groups I'd love to help out with proper facilities. All thoroughly decent people who just need that little bit of help.

I'd also buy the very best aquarium possible for my fish and upgrade the local cycletracks.

Once I'm done I will give you back whats left for you to umm and ahh and dither over once more.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The interest amounts to only £8k a day.

I would buy a large beach house in California / NSW.

Personally I'd buy/build a house somewhere nice, remote and hidden up in the Assynt Area/Ardnamurchan/Outer Hebrides/Shetlands, make it sympathetic to the surrounding area so it blends in, make it all from natural materials and glass, make it as energy efficient as possible, and give it a turf roof, just because I could. Heck maybe even build it into a hillside or a cliff face!

It would have to be in a truly remote (several miles just from the nearest road at least) and stunning location, but all cyclists/hikers would be welcome just as long as they respected the place.
That said, on building it, I'd need to find someone to share it with, but, hey ho.

Also, after seeing too many Scandinavian Detective series, I'd love a beach house somewhere over there.

asterix

Comrade Member
The trouble is that £148m doesn't go nearly as far as people might think.

For example take Bill Gates. He wants to reinvent the bog as a way of improving the world.

It's a serious matter:

Traditional flush toilets waste tons of drinking water and are often impractical in many areas of the developing world.
The UN estimates that disease caused by unsafe sanitation is responsible for half of the hospitalisations in the developing world. About 1.5 million children die each year from diarrhoeal disease.
The Gates Foundation has committed $370m (£235m) to its future toilet initiative and hopes to field test the prototypes within three years.

So there you are, £148m simply wouldn't be enough.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Personally I'd buy/build a house somewhere nice, remote and hidden up in the Assynt Area/Ardnamurchan/Outer Hebrides/Shetlands, make it sympathetic to the surrounding area so it blends in, make it all from natural materials and glass, make it as energy efficient as possible, and give it a turf roof, just because I could. Heck maybe even build it into a hillside or a cliff face!

It would have to be in a truly remote (several miles just from the nearest road at least) and stunning location, but all cyclists/hikers would be welcome just as long as they respected the place.
That said, on building it, I'd need to find someone to share it with, but, hey ho.

Also, after seeing too many Scandinavian Detective series, I'd love a beach house somewhere over there.
Look up Earthships...

Night Train

Maker of Things
They offered some of the money to a friend, according to a news story on the radio this morning. The friend turned down the offer saying it was his place to accept the money!:wacko:

byegad

Legendary Member
Not likely.

Apart from myself and Mrs SJ no-one would know, not even family.

Exactly you can help family gradually and not attract the kind of lurid press attention the 'celebrities' get.

I suspect I'd admit to a much smaller win some time down the road in order to explain my new found wealth.

sunnyjim

You'd never get planning permission for a blending in - natural mateials low energy house.

600 giant wind turbines at the taxpayer's expense - no problem.

Davidc

Guru
I'm not sure what I'd spend £148 million on.

I'd like the opportunity to find out!

I suppose I'd have to buy a ticket though, and those worse than 100,000,000 to 1 odds put me off the idea.

A few years back, after being invited to put my money where my mouth was, I bet on near certainties with very low odds for a few months and made enough to buy a round of drinks, which is more than I imagine most players on the lotteries do.

Top Bottom