Soaps.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
[QUOTE 5298440, member: 9609"]i don't watch any of the soaps but from what I hear crime and violence is verging on the out of control in London, so may be it's a fair reflection. It don't sound like a very good place to be.[/QUOTE]

Who are you hearing that from?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Far too 70s....

Don't go Cussing Imperial Leather

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
[QUOTE 5298511, member: 9609"]60 moped gang attacks every day :eek:[/QUOTE]

If you're not prepared to read the full article, it's no wonder you're so badly misinformed.

I presume you're taking the "60 moped gang attacks" line from the Express piece that comes up as the first link in your search results. I went to the trouble of reading the piece on your behalf. The pertinent line is:

"The attack follows a terrifying spike in moped gang attacks in the Capital that have happened in the past three days, with the Daily Mail reporting up to 60 happen every day."

What this is likely to mean is that there was one day when 60 moped gang attacks happened. I don't know if this is true or not - it sounds unlikely but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Most days, the figure is likely to be much less. Note that they haven't put a minimum number on the range so any number "up to 60" makes that statement true. Including zero. And since the Express is reporting second-hand what someone else has said, they don't need to provide any evidence to back up the assertion, or any more data to put the headline figure into any meaningful context.

Scare tactics are a proven way of selling papers, in much the same way that tawdry storylines involving murder and violence are a good way to get people to watch soaps. Neither is a reflection of reality.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Also @User9609 the second link from your search results is to an Independent piece with the headline "It's true that Britain is experiencing a crime wave..." but the full story is about how perceptions of crime levels are influenced by negative bias (especially in the way crime is reported) and in fact the overall trend in violent crime and murder continues to be downwards.

But hey, why let facts get in the way of your prejudices? You just go on believing what you want to believe - I expect you're more likely to get your audience listening to you in the pub if you start banging on about "60 moped gang attacks every day" rather than giving a reasoned analysis of why crime levels fluctuate, supported by meaningful data.

AndyRM

XOXO
[QUOTE 5298511, member: 9609"]beeb i guess, only news I listen too.

not that I have read any of the following as I don't have the internet connect for online news articles (too bandwidth hungry with adverts) but a quick search seems to back up the beeb.
https://www.google.com/search?clien....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.6.506....0.xfIZ-x7_KRU

60 moped gang attacks every day :eek:[/QUOTE]

That's interesting. The Beeb, 5Live specifically is my main news source. I had absolutely no idea about the bloodbath, or the mopeds, or the out of control levels of crime and violence.

I'm obviously not listening closely enough.

Honestly, you leave it on of course. You have to allow quality to be seen

Then the label drops off and blocks the plug hole.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
[QUOTE 5298610, member: 9609"]I don't have much faith in the media to tell the truth[/QUOTE]

Like most people, you seem only too willing to believe the the bits that confirm your prejudices, as your credulous response to the "60 moped gang attacks every day" headline demonstrates.

Top Bottom