Soaps.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Eastenders is poop. Corrie is the best. There is indeed violence on Corrie, as most recently demonstrated with the Pat Phelan plotline, but at least with Corrie they keep it a bit lighter than it would otherwise be with their gentle comedy moments.

Going back to what Gavroche says, recently much of the UK has been like the wild west recently. Massive rise in knife crime recently, 5 murders in a week in my county, it could be that EastEnders is just reflecting real life...or inspiring real people to be violent.
will somebody buy that man a thesaurus!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
[QUOTE 5298737, member: 9609"]Where do your prejudices lie, do you automatically dismiss any news that does not fall within your own beliefs? [/quote]

It's something we all do to some extent. I've always been a Guardian reader and I'll happily admit that's because it panders to my liberal, leftward inclinations. My mother-in-law, a one time member of the British Communist Party, used to read the Telegraph precisely because it challenged her world view.

these things cut both ways you know, you can think to highly of a place.

Are you suggesting I think too highly of London? I haven't shared an opinion so that's speculation.

Back on topic, I will express an opinion on soaps: I can't stand them. But they are good at what they do - ongoing storylines and recurring characters mean regular viewers get attached, and major events like murders are designed to elicit an emotional response. We all like emotional responses - among the reasons I ride a bike are the thrill I get from going downhill as fast as I dare, and the feeling of joy I get from beautiful countryside views. I find soaps dull but some people find them exciting. Either way, I don't think soap viewers watch them because they think they're an accurate depiction of the real world.

PS I hate to further shatter your illusions but I feel I ought to let you in on something: the streets of London are not actually paved with gold.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
4 pages in and no one has corrected the OPs spelling of deceit. Where are the Spelling and Grammar Police when you need them? Standards are slipping folks, very shoddy......

rich p

ridiculous old lush
[QUOTE 5298737, member: 9609"]Not at all, my long term prejudices regarding London have always been that it was somewhere special, the place to be etc. Never a place for me, but then i'm a country bumpkin, but I still always presumed it a cut above other places, of course it ill have rough areas, all cities do, but where I once guessed it would have less rough areas, I'm now begining to wonder if it worse than other places, and yes I'm still sure there are nice posh places but a lot of it now sounds a bit dodgy. What I have been hearing this last year or so is quite an eye opener.
Where do your prejudices lie, do you automatically dismiss any news that does not fall within your own beliefs? these things cut both ways you know, you can think to highly of a place.[/QUOTE]
From my limited experience of London recently (when both my kids lived there for several years), I would say the reverse is possibly true. Many of the places that were rough and ready when I was living there some 40 years ago, are now gentrified and full of the middle class intelligentsia.

4 pages in and no one has corrected the OPs spelling of deceit. Where are the Spelling and Grammar Police when you need them? Standards are slipping folks, very shoddy......

I think the mods might have deleted them, if such posts appeared in the first place... like some grammar police police.
Stop trying to derail our derail about the important subject of Imperial Leather (with its rich, creamy lather*) to discuss how receipt is spelt.

*also, be careful to pronounce it "larther"

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
As I was watching BBC 1 advertising Eastenders tonight, I suddenly realized that all soaps seem to be based on violence and deceipt nowadays. Is that a reflection of the society we live in? I certainly hope not.
I thought soaps where for the brain dead,:wacko:

Drago

Legendary Member
Weatherfield is a strange place. It's impossible there for a person to fall over without hitti g the back of their head on a piece of unfeasibly solid looking furniture and promptly falling unconscious.

(I was going to put women here, but only half wanting the sexist backlash decided to put it in brackets)
And aren't you glad you stopped yourself? While it's true 2/3 of soap fans are women, but on cc, it seems that 100% of the fans are men.

For the record, the last soap I followed was Soap.
250px-Soap_title_screen.jpg

Top Bottom