Sod helmets - should I wear glasses?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK - so the helmet debate is raging on another thread, but I want to know:
Should I wear glasses when I ride?
Chuckies, flies, dust and grit - they're all out to get me. Am I gambling with my sight each time I go our barefaced? Answers on a postcard please........

Maz

Guru
If you need glasses for driving, I think you should wear them when riding your bike, too.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I got some optical inserts to go into some adidas evil eye's. Helps protect from wind at high speed and dust, dirt, flies etc.. from getting in the eye as well.

shippers

Yup, wear glasses. I'm a four eyed git which makes it difficult getting cycling glasses on and I hate it!
Grit and flies and sweat making you take your hands off the bars to wipe your eyes, while doing 30...

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I always wear a helmet and glasses.
So the helmet is on another thread. As for the glasses I now need them just to see but before I did I had a mad narrow escape.:biggrin:

A mate and myself went away for a weekend to Bridlington just after leaving school. We had no money so cycled from Doncaster.
Had a good ride and a night on the sauce.
The ride home was very relaxing until Market Weighton Hill (A614). A nice freewheeling road but with a roundabout half way down. Suddenly I got a fly in my eye. Not only was it painful but coupled with concentrating on riding I couldn't work out which eye it was in. So I closed both, braked and prayed. If you follow the road down on google streetview you'll see a car sales. I stopped outside it, still on my side of the road with my mate coming to a stop next to me asking what was wrong. When I told him he almost fell off his bike.

So I always wear glasses not only to save what little sight I still have but to keep me on the straight and narrow if anything similar happens.

I've never banged my head falling off but I like hats.:sad:

It down to choice again but I choose to where glasses but I can't see much without them ;-)

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
ComedyPilot said:
If you fitted mudguards, that would stop dirt getting thrown in your eyes.

Flies don't care if you have mudgaurds or not. And what about stuff thrown up from anything else on the road. A lot of muck and stuff from a passing lorry thundering off to Tesco.

hillrep

Veteran
Personally I don't (admit to needing to) wear glasses to see, but do wear clear glasses for cycling.

The cheap way is to get clear safety glasses e.g. Bolle safety glasses of some form

PK99

Legendary Member
Stig-OT-Dump said:
OK - so the helmet debate is raging on another thread, but I want to know:
Should I wear glasses when I ride?
Chuckies, flies, dust and grit - they're all out to get me. Am I gambling with my sight each time I go our barefaced? Answers on a postcard please........

uv protection is also important

Mark_Robson

I always wear eye protection when I'm cycling, I have safety glasses in clear, orange or tinted, so all options are covered. If you are going to wear glasses then I would advise wearing impact resistant glasses with polycarbonate lenses.

Wouldn't it be amusing if there were an anti glasses faction that tried to argue against the use of glasses by quoting some wonderful statistic like, more people are injured by foreign bodies entering their eyes on a beach in high winds than receive eye injuries whilst cycling and posted a picture of a toddler sitting on a beach in safety goggles, just to get the point across.

Bandini

I wear glasses and, even though a few got through, I was glad of it when I went through a few huge clouds of midge type things in the country this afternoon.

Top Bottom