Solar panels….?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
If only the other 10 companies I have contacted wold get back to me :banghead:

im the same here in S.Wales...very minimal companies around

D

Deleted member 26715

That was my thoughts too. Being double charged for installation. I think a lot of it is because supply is so limited at the moment and the companies can get away with it, from the quotes seen here my quote is not outrageous but when you look at the price for the parts it seems we are all being ripped off. There is a 25 year minimum production warranty included where they monitor the system and if the efficiency drops either replace parts or pay your electricity bill, however, will they/their insurance company even exist in 25 years times? The problem is, there is no way I can self supply/install as nobody will certify the system.

SolarFast

D

Deleted member 26715

im the same here in S.Wales...very minimal companies around

I can forward you the details of the company I am going to use, he told me they have a 10 installs a week contract in South Wales, I think it's on new builds

jowwy

I can forward you the details of the company I am going to use, he told me they have a 10 installs a week contract in South Wales, I think it's on new builds

Send them to me and see what he comes up with.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 26715

Send them to me and see what he comes up with.

Cheers

Won't let me,

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 18.22.50.png

https://www.wrightrenewableheating.co.uk/
Glen Randell
glenn@wrightrenewableheating.co.uk
+441909 813456

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Well had my visit tonight , a wee bit underwhelmed actually . Guy was not convinced about my roof . Could have shadows at some point in the day. I’ll need to check it out myself maybe over the weekend . Sunny day preferable . Only quoted for 5kw and 6.5kw battery . The numbers to me take a long time to stack up. After the outlay it could take 15yrs to be in the black. Seems a hell of long time . I’ve got another company coming in a couple of weeks so I will compare. Price wise a wee bit more than the guy that emailed only. However still north of £12k ! Only upside is the interest free loan for £11k of that via Sco Gov. However I get the feeling your being charged a tad more than it should be ?!

jowwy

Well had my visit tonight , a wee bit underwhelmed actually . Guy was not convinced about my roof . Could have shadows at some point in the day. I’ll need to check it out myself maybe over the weekend . Sunny day preferable . Only quoted for 5kw and 6.5kw battery . The numbers to me take a long time to stack up. After the outlay it could take 15yrs to be in the black. Seems a hell of long time . I’ve got another company coming in a couple of weeks so I will compare. Price wise a wee bit more than the guy that emailed only. However still north of £12k ! Only upside is the interest free loan for £11k of that via Sco Gov. However I get the feeling your being charged a tad more than it should be ?!

I said the same earlier about double fitting charges and mark ups on products

CXRAndy

Guru
If you have a bit of shadowing, ensure that the panel are individually wired and not in series. Then if one panel becomes shadowed, only that panel drops off in output. Series wired panels, if one panel shadows the whole set of panels reduce output.

The use of micro invertors on each panel or optimisers help mitigate shadowing.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dears
Could somebody explain this whole Solar operation gently to me?
Just moved into a new-build with 4kW of solar panel installed. No batteries.
Right now we are with British Gas and need to speak to the Solar feed-in team - and I know bugger-all about how this works. Also I believe there are also options with Octopus.

Is there an idiots guide?
What do I need to know/consider.
Is a battery a good investment and what size?
Is there an 'APP' that can monitor what's going-on?

Lecktrickery, is a foreign country to me, but I want to maximise the benefit of what we have.....

Cheers
FF

kipster

Guru
Dears
Could somebody explain this whole Solar operation gently to me?
Just moved into a new-build with 4kW of solar panel installed. No batteries.
Right now we are with British Gas and need to speak to the Solar feed-in team - and I know bugger-all about how this works. Also I believe there are also options with Octopus.

Is there an idiots guide?
What do I need to know/consider.
Is a battery a good investment and what size?
Is there an 'APP' that can monitor what's going-on?

Lecktrickery, is a foreign country to me, but I want to maximise the benefit of what we have.....

Cheers
FF

I would say that batteries are a good investment as they allow you to use stored excess solar overnight. However you may need to change your inverter (£1000+) to a hybrid inverter and spend a few thousand on batteries. If you are planning to stay in the property a while it might pay off.

Regarding SEG you don't need to so with who supplies your electric, you can go with whoever you want. Octopus seem to be about the highest paying.

Regarding apps, what is your current inverter? There is bound to be an app for monitoring it.

D

Deleted member 26715

Panels capture the light in DC format, the inverter converts it to AC current so you can use it around your house, currently if you panels are generating 4kW & you are using more than that, then the extra is pulled in from the grid. If you're not using the 4KW then you will be exporting the extra out to the grid, but remember you sell/export out at 3-7p, but buy/import in at 22-37p. (This is the principle but it doesn't necessarily work quite like that for safety reasons)

Logically because of the price difference you want to be using all that you produce & not send any out to the grid, which is where the batteries come in. Any excess you produce during the day will charge up the batteries rather than exporting it & allow you to use it later in the evening etc.

You can also go one further with Octopus (there might be others) that offer hours overnight at a reduced rate, you can use that rate to also charge your batteries to use later, or you can use the washing machine, dishwater etc on the cheap rate.

Unfortunately your builders are doing what all property developers seem to do, the absolute minimum to comply with the regulations, rather than giving to a system which will benefit you, hopefully your inverter is one that can have batteries added.

I would be surprised if the inverter doesn't have an App, but you may have to buy a dongle to go into it so you can talk to it.

CXRAndy

Guru
My son is getting a new build, the developer has restrictive covenants prohibiting adding items to the outside of the property for 10 years. We requested permission as part of purchase to add solar. I think he should be able to install between 4-6kW. We are getting the additional wiring installed at first fix, plus aircon power to certain walls. A few hundred quid now on 6-10mm cabling will be a huge benefit come installation

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
If you have a bit of shadowing, ensure that the panel are individually wired and not in series. Then if one panel becomes shadowed, only that panel drops off in output. Series wired panels, if one panel shadows the whole set of panels reduce output.

The use of micro invertors on each panel or optimisers help mitigate shadowing.

That’s handy to know , I’ll keep a note . My mate at work has that on his . Is it not standard fit these days ?

CXRAndy

Guru
Micro inverter and optimisers are optional methods of connecting a solar array. A decent installer should beware of these methods to reduce solar loss due to shadowing. There are software packages that show shadowing for virtually any site, if it's been captured by Google or other aerial photography. The worst shadowing will be in the winter months. But the software can show any time of the year if required.

Vast majority of installations don't need any other equipment and are directly connected to the inverter. Bread n butter, this is where you see average installers versus professional who will do a thorough assessment of each site. Beware

Top Bottom