Sold the motorbike and started cycling to save money.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Welcome to CC.

A 4k saving would buy you a good motorbike and a good bike too. My last motor bike (GPz 900R) was only 2500! Mind you, that was a bit back ^_^

OP
OP
hedder2212

hedder2212

i started off on a 50cc Honda vision of 1992 vintage :rolleyes: sold that the day I turned 17 and got my £300 Chinese 125 geared bike, ragged that everywhere, took it off roading a few times (it was a cruiser thing) did a few camping trips on it, rode it to Scotland and back twice, passed my test just under 6 months ago and it took me and a pillion quite a few times.. went with the if in doubt go flat out thing everywhere :crazy: it did well. sold it for what I bought it for so not moaning much. it served me well.

im now thinking maybe I should get a bigger bike next year for the longer journeys I will want to do :rolleyes:
if I can manage to save £4k by new year I think I will be getting a bigger bike, a new commuter bicycle and maybe (if theres anything left over) go on holiday.
we shall see.

LimeBurn

Über Member
Jeez!! What sort of fuel economy did your motorbike get. When I turned 17 (admittedly more than a few years ago) I bought a Kawasaki AR125 which used to cost about 6 or 7 quid to fill it up - it used to last me all week and I used to ride it everywhere. Anyway welcome!! :smile:

OP
OP
hedder2212

hedder2212

i was doing 60-70 miles each day and as I said was always going flat out on the red line absolutely everywhere so fuel economy wasn't... the best.. still better than the moped which would do 10 miles to £4 of petrol and £1 of 2 stroke :laugh:
plus it was Chinese and a cruiser :laugh:

young Ed

Veteran
well done and welcome, not many people that would drop the power of an engine for the power of their legs!
one day i will have the 3: truck (farmer), motorbike (for longer journeys and touring and visiting mates far away etc as it's more economical then a truck) and finally a couple of push bikes for the fun of it and exercise :smile:
wouldn't surprise me if the push bikes see the most miles still!
Cheers Ed

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: Hedder.

I had to look up the Challenge Emulator. A basic rigid frame MTB style bike - I think you could do worse. A change to some quality tyres would make it faster and nicer to ride. Be prepared for lots of maintenance if you are going to rack up the miles on it.;)

OP
OP
hedder2212

hedder2212

im not touching it apart from riding it, im going to ride it until it dies a very horrible death... im guessing that, that will happen sometime next week and by then I should have something a tad better :laugh: ive had worse bikes though, still miss my claud butler which got nicked last year, loved that bike.:angry:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
im not touching it apart from riding it, im going to ride it until it dies a very horrible death... im guessing that, that will happen sometime next week and by then I should have something a tad better :laugh: ive had worse bikes though, still miss my claud butler which got nicked last year, loved that bike.:angry:
If it's on the original components you may not be far off.:laugh:

Shame about the Claud Butler. I hope the next bike fares better.:thumbsup:

Got back into cycling after writing off my R1 and think I've spent what I got for it on bikes and kit(plus some camera gear) so if the bug gets you like it did me don't expect to save too much.

Top Bottom