Sold the motorbike and started cycling to save money.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
hedder2212

hedder2212

I think IF I do ever get another one of those petrol powered two wheel machine thingys its just going to be a 125cc scooter for longer journeys. Im enjoying cycling so much I don't think ill be going back to motorbikes full time. I even like cycling in the rain and snow :crazy:

Dark46

Veteran
My new ride

Attachments

• received_10152735073920678.jpeg
    received_10152735073920678.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 45

Nick 0668

I used to be a biker until my lovely Suzuki SV650s got nicked! Anybody got any tips to prevent your brand new pushbike getting robbed, apart from a shackle lock and keeping it indoors?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Alarmed motorcycle locks (discs or cable) are very good for bikes if you're nearby. Otherwise it's similar to motorbikes: park in busy areas, designated parks if possible, secure any removable bits, don't look too flash, and so on.

CRVFR

Since I got back into cycling about 18 months ago I've done more miles on my pushbike than on my motorbike, mainly because the motorbike never leaves the garage between about November - March, whereas I've kept cycling 4/5 times a week all through the winter. Not to sure about it saving me money though - I seem to be able to spend plenty on both bikes & clothes!

OP
OP
hedder2212

hedder2212

Ive not really been cycling much of late, I got a moped a few weeks back and just haven't been wanting to cycle the 24 miles to work and then 24 miles back (new job :biggrin: ) moped cost £50 off ebay, insurance £69 with mods declared.
even with a 72cc kit, upgraded variator and belt, upgraded clutch, sports pipe, bigger carb etc its only had £7 of petrol in the last 7 days and still got a trip to work left in it I reckon.
Really need to sort a bicycle out though, there are days when id like to get the bicycle out and ride down the canal to work.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I sold my last motorbike (a CBR 1000) when I realised my annual mileage had dropped below 1,000. Can't say I've saved much money as I seem to add a new cycle to the stable at least once a year but definitely having more fun and doing five times the mileage.

Tojo

Über Member
I sold my last motorbike (a CBR 1000) when I realised my annual mileage had dropped below 1,000. Can't say I've saved much money as I seem to add a new cycle to the stable at least once a year but definitely having more fun and doing five times the mileage.

I'm back on one man power now also after some dopey Tw*t knocked me off my Fireblade

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I used to use the motorbike for all the silly trips that i could of done walking, i even used to ride it to the top of the road to fetch the paper when i could of walked it in 5 minutes, including a 8 mile ride to gfs every day and then back... id fill up atleast 5 times a week at a average of £12.98ish per fill up (i really didnt try to ride economically, it was 100mph everywhere or nothing) so that was £64.90 each week including commute, all my running around, going to gfs etc so £259.60 a month, id do a service each month, that was self done but would cost £20 a time to do. so totals up to £279.60 a month so far. X that by twelve £3355.20 and add on insurance of £450 per year fully comp - £3805.20 roughly.. then whatever it would cost when i did a long ride out for the day with friends etc so call it about £4k for the year... ive only just added all that up now... think i need a lie down! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
What!!!! You fill her up almost every day...blimey, that's is one inefficient motorbike. I used to get 270 miles for a £10 tank of fuel on the best of my old bikes and even the big big 1000cc used to give me 38 mpg in city riding....so probably 120-150 miles.

sidevalve

Über Member
I ride both - I love both. To those who gave up m/cycling because they were knocked off will you then give up cycling if you have an accident ? Give up living because you need an operation ? If you give up on biking you were only playing at it. The old saying is true Ride to live - Live to ride. It applies to both cycles and bikes. Further, cyclists and Bikers should work together more - what applies to one usually applies to both - bad roads, blind drivers, government ignorance. There are some tossers out there [but there are some on cycles too]

OP
OP
hedder2212

hedder2212

my zxr400 (new purchase) gets 30ish mpg, moped will do 100ish miles to a tank with a 70cc kit etc etc..
but the 125cc I had was a P.O.S Chinese cruiser and I did thrash it absolutely everywhere even when riding with a pillion. Though its moved from being about saving money now to just cycling into work because I enjoy it. saving a little money just helps. The whole idea behind stopping riding was so that I could save the money and get something bigger and better than I already had, could never fully give it up.

Don't be embarrassed about what you ride or where it comes from there's too much snobbery and one upmanship in a lot of hobbies ( photography is terrible for it, believe me) but enjoy riding. That's the most important thing. Oh and welcome!

Top Bottom