Solid verses pneumatic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Unpressurised tyres (more accurate as they are not generally truly solid) have their uses, but like everything in engineering there are compromises involved. For some users, total protection from punctures is the most important criteria, which means they will accept the trade-off but most riders tend to accept the occasional flat as the price you pay for not having your fillings shaken out. Those of use who run the likes of Marathon or M+ get a pretty good deal overall because we still get a fairly decent ride and yet flats are extremely rare occurrences.
I had an old secondhand solid rubber tyred single speed bike as a small boy and the ride was boneshaking. I didn't care back then, as small boys don't. It was a bike and any bike, no matter how rough, was better than having no bike.

DRM

Guru
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, the only place for a solid tyre is a forklift truck

DRM

Guru
Even they don't always have solid tyres, especially the larger rough terrain models.
No, not always but the vast majority run solids, the amount of cr*p in most yards leads to constant punctures, and the ride is actually horrible on pneumatics, they just seem to wallow, the other benefit is that you can get the tread recut in them until they’re worn out, usually th likes of JCB Telehandlers or the similar telescopic boom Manitou’s found on building sites/farms run pneumatic tyres

I've one of these for the commute, its great in some ways but its a cr@p ride.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

There is trying and there is stupidity.
Stupidity is not trying.

classic33

Leg End Member
Unpressurised tyres (more accurate as they are not generally truly solid) have their uses, but like everything in engineering there are compromises involved. For some users, total protection from punctures is the most important criteria, which means they will accept the trade-off but most riders tend to accept the occasional flat as the price you pay for not having your fillings shaken out. Those of use who run the likes of Marathon or M+ get a pretty good deal overall because we still get a fairly decent ride and yet flats are extremely rare occurrences.
I had an old secondhand solid rubber tyred single speed bike as a small boy and the ride was boneshaking. I didn't care back then, as small boys don't. It was a bike and any bike, no matter how rough, was better than having no bike.
Nexo tyre appear solid enough.
L3VwbG9hZHMvZmVhdHVyZXMvNWM4YjQ0OGU5ZjdhNHw3Njh4NjY0.png

Green Welly's were another solid tyre.
I'd to cut it to remove it from the wheel.

Top Bottom