Solid verses pneumatic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok, if you prefer, stupidity is really trying.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Racing Roadkill likes this thread.
Well join in Bollo🤠

I had a bike with solid tyres as a young kid. It's true that I never wore them out but I don't think I rode it much - probably just up and down the street.
I remember it being pretty uncomfortable even for those rides.
A dead end - while we still have air.

Solid tyres seem like an excellent idea - but no-one has yet found a material that can be used with any reasonable level of success for a normal bicycle

No reason to stop trying - but if I had a few grand of my own money to spare and someone came and told me about this wonderfulnew compound that would make a solid bike tyre that rides like an air filled one - and has the same rolling resistance - then I would have a lot of questions before I invested my money

No reason to stop looking - but it would have to be totally different material and most 'new revolutionary startups' just use something similar to the old stuff

Still - if anyone finds that great new product - I would be glad to know!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Racing Roadkill likes this thread.
There's an oblique 'appeal to authority' for you, as well as a 'blast from the past'.
For the OP, @racingroadkill (once OTP) had many firmly held (some erroneous and wayward) lines of chat, a self-assessed superior understanding of almost everything, an unwillingness to explain the basis of his propositions, and a crab-like preference to double down. But he was 'solid' on this topic: his practical experience and derived knowledge of Tannus tyres was valuable, imho.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The OP is just going to keep on and on. We've said why they aren't as good. He should try them, probably wouldn't notice too much with his electric assist, until he lost traction and slid off. For a 'normal' bike they make life hard work and uncomfortable.

I have a feeling he will carry on trolling his own thread.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Tanus is do a range of solid tyres in different colours.

YouTube have plenty of videos about solid tyres. Some like them and some don't. They seem to be a bit like marmite.

Top Bottom