Solo Gravel Safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I'm fairly sure that it actually works on 999? I think that the phone will try to use your own network, but if it is not available it will use any other network.
Yep - any number that the phone recognises as an emergency number is treated the same. You may sometimes see “emergency calls only” as a status, meaning you can’t use your own network but can still reach help.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Where there is no signal for a phone call there can often be enough to send a text to emergency services. Register for the emergency text service.

See https://www.mountaineering.scot/safety-and-skills/essential-skills/mountain-rescue/calling-for-help

Above is Scotland version, but same rest of UK

Carry an emergency blanket, spare warmer clothing and a beanie. First aid kit which would be normal. If you do end up stranded alone. You should at least survive the night. Even if you shiver a little.

Let a friend or family member know where you’ve gone. In walking we’d complete a route card and leave it with someone responsible. In the digital age you could email a map with your route overlaid and expected ETAs. Let them know if plans change. Have an agreed time by which they should contact mountain rescue etc. Don’t forget to let them know when you are safe and sound again.

Ride within yourself and the terrain. Pushing your limits on your own when you know there will be no phone signal is definition of stupid. If you aren’t pushing your limits it’ll be extremely unlikely that you’ll have an accident that immobilises you. Besides if you have a crash serious enough to immobilise you. It may also have broken your phone. Even if there is a signal.

As above have exit plans for walking out if you can. Where are the nearest farms, villages, valleys to descend to (and get help) around the route if necessary?

I speak as someone who hill walked solo and went into the mountains long before mobile phones were a thing. So my planning was always about lettting people know where I’d gone, avoiding accidents to start with, having means to deal with accidents and survive the night and weather, and having exit strategies from my planned route. Self rescue if necessary. It was never about “Nothing worry about I have a mobile on me.”

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Learn how to give accurate coordinates to where you are. The way I do it is.

Open Google maps

Press on the screen when the blue button
lights up

Press on the blue Dot for 2 seconds until the red marker appears

Tap on Dropped Pin, bottom left and the coordinates and other detais are displayed.

I traversed Salter Fell with @Blue Hills and we said then that it was definitely NOT somewhere that you would want to fall off your bike and injure yourself! I'm fairly sure that there would be no phone signal, and it could be a long way from help.

This bit is benign gravel, but a few miles further on it gets gnarlier and you really do feel cut off from civilisation.

View attachment 605978
seem to remember I checked mobile coverage for my provider the other day, and yes, no coverage - you'd be better off taking a fall on the moon.

If, in an emergency you dial 112 rather than 999 you get to use any signal rather than just your service provider's. Not much use if no signal whatsoever from all the providers, but it does increase your chances.
thanks for that - good to know - why don't they do it for 999 as well though? (maybe showing my age)

Why not get this if off track is a regular thing. Emergency SOS via satellite. It also sends a regular location pings to your other half so they know where you are. Can be used Worldwide.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/592606

1629909500487.png

Learn how to give accurate coordinates to where you are. The way I do it is.

Open Google maps

Press on the screen when the blue button
lights up

Press on the blue Dot for 2 seconds until the red marker appears

Tap on Dropped Pin, bottom left and the coordinates and other detais are displayed.
good tip - with a conventional GPS or something like OSMand, which works offline, you wouldn't need any mobile data though.
On long rides I tend to carry a garmin (with spare batteries), android tab with OSMand on it, another basic smartphone and a dumb phone.

Personally I never leave the bike path without strapping on my Breitling.

https://www.breitling.com/us-en/watches/professional/emergency/E7632522-BC02/

Gillstay

Über Member
I regularly work on remote sites, with dangerous trees and chainsaws. Spending a lot of money on electronics is often not the answer in my experience. Just solid information on meeting points, track entrances, routes and as people have already pointed out, sharing it is what tends to save people. A good whistle, kept with a small, but well chosen first aid kit got a chum rescued when he broke his back.

Baldy

Über Member
Why not get this if off track is a regular thing. Emergency SOS via satellite. It also sends a regular location pings to your other half so they know where you are. Can be used Worldwide.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/592606

View attachment 606006

I do have one of these, only an older model. I had it with me when I crashed (see my earlier post for the link). I didn't set it off because I was concussed and not thinking straight. I got it because I do (or did before covid) a lot of solo backpacking in the north of Scandinavia not strictly because of bikepacking in this country. I would say they're probably over kill in the UK unless you're doing a great deal of solo trips. They are expensive and they require a service plan which again isn't cheap although you can suspend it when not in use. I let my brother and sister see my webpage so they can see where I am, it updates every half hour. I could set the updates more frequently but they do cost and you don't tend to cover that much ground walking. I guess even if I'd not pushed the panic button, if my dot stopped moving and I hadn't checked in they would eventually sus something was wrong.

DRM

Guru
i'd say a whistle is essential, you'd be surprised at how far the sound carries.
Yes six blasts on it if iirc, also the other mention of survival bags and woolly hat, gloves, warm lightweight jacket etc are top tips, you might not need it, but you could stumble across a Walker or cyclist who does, if going really into the hills don’t forget that it may be lovely and warm lower down, but winter conditions can sneak up on you in a flash in the hills, a frame bag to put it all in is a good idea, you could also take a hexy stove and a metal mug and some 2 in 1 or 3 in 1 coffee sachets so you can make a hot drink if needed

Top Bottom