Solo Gravel Safety

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Surely Kendall Mint Cake ??

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I agree with @Gillstay and think technology is rarely the best solution in these circumstances as it is reliant on being functional and being charged (something that is often easily overlooked shortly after the initial novelty has worn off).
People often laugh at me when I pull out an old road atlas or paper OS map, but the reality is they just work and don't rely on signal strength or data connections or batteries.
You can almost guarantee that if you are going to get stranded it will be at the end of the day, just as darkness is falling and your batteries are about to go flat. It is always best to make failsafe plans rather than relying on something that is easily rendered useless (like the CO2 inflator).

You can save Google map areas to your smartphone. So you'll have a location provided you have a battery.

A map is great but only if you know how to read one.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes six blasts on it if iirc, also the other mention of survival bags and woolly hat, gloves, warm lightweight jacket etc are top tips, you might not need it, but you could stumble across a Walker or cyclist who does, if going really into the hills don’t forget that it may be lovely and warm lower down, but winter conditions can sneak up on you in a flash in the hills, a frame bag to put it all in is a good idea, you could also take a hexy stove and a metal mug and some 2 in 1 or 3 in 1 coffee sachets so you can make a hot drink if needed
3 blasts, short break then 3 more, @Drago would be the man to know for defo.

Why not get this if off track is a regular thing. Emergency SOS via satellite. It also sends a regular location pings to your other half so they know where you are. Can be used Worldwide.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/592606

View attachment 606006
Just some additional guide

1. Do not need subscription in the UK or Globally to activate the SOS button which is on the right side bottom. As it is satellite based does not need phone / wifi signal. Just a single outlay of £300.
2. There is no need to punch in any coordinates or scroll thru menu, just press the button.Emergency Services will take care of the rest. Remain in the same spot and if you move for shelter, do not switch off your device.
3. Many of us struggle with tech, then important to provide ETA and route map. Do not deviate from route even to explore to few metres away down. Don't bother with route update as there is no signal. Route updates are essential for touring where signals are available when you reach small towns even in remote regions.
4. If you argue that this device is useless if you are concussed or fall unconscious you are right. But it also says a lot of about how logic and common sense is applied.

What the device does is provide peace of mind. You do not have plan the route ahead, you can explore, extend your stay etc. The family does not have to carry the burden of understanding maps and routes for every ride.

I came to know a chap who runs a small business with his wife in Durham. He often heads to Pennines during off peak which is wonderful place with lots of established trails of varying degrees. Bear in mind even the carparks have no signal.

Baldy

Über Member
Just some additional guide

1. Do not need subscription in the UK or Globally to activate the SOS button which is on the right side bottom. As it is satellite based does not need phone / wifi signal. Just a single outlay of £300.
2. There is no need to punch in any coordinates or scroll thru menu, just press the button.Emergency Services will take care of the rest. Remain in the same spot and if you move for shelter, do not switch off your device.
3. Many of us struggle with tech, then important to provide ETA and route map. Do not deviate from route even to explore to few metres away down. Don't bother with route update as there is no signal. Route updates are essential for touring where signals are available when you reach small towns even in remote regions.
4. If you argue that this device is useless if you are concussed or fall unconscious you are right. But it also says a lot of about how logic and common sense is applied.

What the device does is provide peace of mind. You do not have plan the route ahead, you can explore, extend your stay etc. The family does not have to carry the burden of understanding maps and routes for every ride.

I came to know a chap who runs a small business with his wife in Durham. He often heads to Pennines during off peak which is wonderful place with lots of established trails of varying degrees. Bear in mind even the carparks have no signal.
I think there's some confusion here, there are two different systems. The PLB and trackers, with the PLB you don't need a subscription. You just register them with the coastguard. Once pressed it sends a SOS and your GPS coordinate, nothing else no two way messaging or tracking. You do have to get the battery changed every six years. (£180).

Trackers do need a subscription, they send your GPS coordinate at regular intervals. They do give you two way texting, so you can send an OK message each night or whatever. If you press the red button just like with a PLB they send a SOS and your location. These are rechargeable via a UBS.

Similar technologies but different approache.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The map tells you where you are. Makes things a lot easier.

Well given the OPs posted route Google would just show you are in a blank space between roads. Since you can’t read maps you won’t know which direction the roads are or whether they are small or big or how to reach them or whether there are any walls or cliffs or boggy ground between you or them.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Here we go. Here’s what Google brings up for where the OP is immobilised without signal

8DFF287E-B9C5-441A-95CF-A4EC9214C913.jpeg

Well given the OPs posted route Google would just show you are in a blank space between roads. Since you can’t read maps you won’t know which direction the roads are or whether they are small or big or how to reach them or whether there are any walls or cliffs or boggy ground between you or them.
I'm expecting that there's some ability on the part of the lost rider.
If he doesn't know which way he's going or what a cliff looks like how did he even plan his route ?

You must agree that locating yourself is easier with a GPS device ?

He'd also see if he was getting nearer or further away from the roads/ forests/rivers on his screen.

Top Bottom