Some cyclists have a death wish...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cp40Carl

Über Member
As a keen 'weekend cyclist' I've been plucking up the courage to start commuting to work on my bike. I keep delaying this and then feel bad every day when I see other cyclists, much older than I am, cycling to work every day (I'm in my forties) in the ice, wind and rain. Not that age has a lot to do with it (I carefully add!).

Anyway, I think I'm a bit obsessed about road safety, for good reason you might say. Well, I was driving home from work in my car this evening (sorry to say this, hope I haven't committed some terrible sin by saying this on the forum!) and I spotted a cyclist in a side road to my right without any lights or reflectors whatsoever. It very dark so the slight movement in the shadows caught my eye. Good job I'd spotted him as he then cycled out straight in front of me and took off down the pavement! I have to say, as a cyclist myself, I wanted to pursue him and give him a good talking too. Probably not wise in this day and age however...

What is it with these people?

Anyway, I think I just needed a rant. I might add that the vast majority of cyclists on my route are eminently sensible, well lit and very competent riders and I may well join their ranks soon...

:ninja:

andyfraser

Über Member
I'm quite lucky. My commute is 6 miles mostly on country roads to a nearby small town. The roads are generally not too busy and all I have to do is concentrate on keeping myself moving and safe. If your commute would take you on busier roads then I can understand why you've been putting it off. I hate cycling through town.

All of the cyclists I see on my commute are good. It's when I get back to town I see the ninjas on BSOs, on the cycle paths and residential roads.

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
My potential commutes are either a couple of busy roads and then cut through a park or a couple of busy roads then few miles on a dedicated cycle route. Not looking at more than about 4 or 5 miles each way which is nothing compared to my weekend jaunts.

Guess I'm just a little anxious about going over on ice and also whether I could travel in shirt and office pants...(at the weekends I'm one of those 'types' who has to dress like Bradley Wiggins just to cycle 15 miles along cycle paths). I will also have to get out of bed about 20mins earlier. :sad:

But there's a secret plan as we'll...

Commute = Cyclescheme = new bike!!!

:evil:

andyfraser

Über Member
My potential commutes are either a couple of busy roads and then cut through a park or a couple of busy roads then few miles on a dedicated cycle route. Not looking at more than about 4 or 5 miles each way which is nothing compared to my weekend jaunts.

Guess I'm just a little anxious about going over on ice and also whether I could travel in shirt and office pants...(at the weekends I'm one of those 'types' who has to dress like Bradley Wiggins just to cycle 15 miles along cycle paths). I will also have to get out of bed about 20mins earlier. :sad:

But there's a secret plan as we'll...

Commute = Cyclescheme = new bike!!!

:evil:
It's quicker for me to cycle than to catch the bus. I don't have a car so bike it is. I came off on the ice last January and don't plan on doing that again! Luckily it doesn't get too bad round here, even this morning at nearly -6! I now have some studded tyres for my hybrid for when the weather turns again.

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
I may look into getting some studded tyres, good idea. I've already got a padded cycling top and winter glover and the bike has lights and reflectors so I should be good to go really. Might consider a bike rack for my lunchbox (matron!).

byegad

Legendary Member
I think you need to remember that stupid people make stupid decisions over and over again. Some of them ride bikes. No lights? No road sense? No brains!

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Maybe there should be a thread called the Ninja Awards? It could be the cycling equivalent of the Darwin Awards (you know, the one were people are recognised for the ludicrous way in which they attempt to exit the gene pool).

It could even be in black font and on a black background...

Mrs M

Guru
Coming home tonight in the car we passed a young guy pushing a buggy uphill with a toddler at his side.
Just behind them were 2 lads cycling on the pavement, no lights or helmets, dweebs!

As a keen 'weekend cyclist' I've been plucking up the courage to start commuting to work on my bike. I keep delaying this and then feel bad every day when I see other cyclists, much older than I am, cycling to work every day (I'm in my forties) in the ice, wind and rain. Not that age has a lot to do with it (I carefully add!).

Anyway, I think I'm a bit obsessed about road safety, for good reason you might say. Well, I was driving home from work in my car this evening (sorry to say this, hope I haven't committed some terrible sin by saying this on the forum!) and I spotted a cyclist in a side road to my right without any lights or reflectors whatsoever. It very dark so the slight movement in the shadows caught my eye. Good job I'd spotted him as he then cycled out straight in front of me and took off down the pavement! I have to say, as a cyclist myself, I wanted to pursue him and give him a good talking too. Probably not wise in this day and age however...

What is it with these people?

Anyway, I think I just needed a rant. I might add that the vast majority of cyclists on my route are eminently sensible, well lit and very competent riders and I may well join their ranks soon...

:ninja:

I work for the NHS, I have a beard, wear lace up black shoes and wear glasses.... so did Harold Shipman

However I am not responsible for him murdering his patients

In the same way I am nor responsible for bad cyclists

winjim

Smash the cistern
Coming home tonight in the car we passed a young guy pushing a buggy uphill with a toddler at his side.
Just behind them were 2 lads cycling on the pavement, no lights or helmets, dweebs!
Would you rather they were on the road?

Top Bottom