Some cyclists have a death wish...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
As a keen 'weekend cyclist' I've been plucking up the courage to start commuting to work on my bike. I keep delaying this and then feel bad every day when I see other cyclists, much older than I am, cycling to work every day (I'm in my forties) in the ice, wind and rain. Not that age has a lot to do with it (I carefully add!).

Anyway, I think I'm a bit obsessed about road safety, for good reason you might say. Well, I was driving home from work in my car this evening (sorry to say this, hope I haven't committed some terrible sin by saying this on the forum!) and I spotted a cyclist in a side road to my right without any lights or reflectors whatsoever. It very dark so the slight movement in the shadows caught my eye. Good job I'd spotted him as he then cycled out straight in front of me and took off down the pavement! I have to say, as a cyclist myself, I wanted to pursue him and give him a good talking too. Probably not wise in this day and age however...

What is it with these people?

Anyway, I think I just needed a rant. I might add that the vast majority of cyclists on my route are eminently sensible, well lit and very competent riders and I may well join their ranks soon...

:ninja:
no its everybody elses fault. well if you read some of the stuff here you would think so.

howdenbiker

I cycle 11 miles each way to work, 70% quiet roads, the rest on tracks (part of a sustrans route), I don't cycle if it is icy or snow, seen too many others have to lay off cycling for weeks with broken writs or collar bones!

I wear my cycling gear and change at work, although not many others in the office and I arrive before anyone else so get peace to change.

Mrs M

Guru
I do, but never did as a kid and fell off loads more! :smile:
Always wore a hard hat when riding horses so just did the same on the bike.
Don't let this become another "helmet debate" for gads sake!

Mrs M

Guru
Hope I didn't start it, lol :smile:
Don't think so:wacko:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
i don't think they have a death wish, they just don't have any lights.

(edit)
...on the subject of commuting by bike though, There is a limit to the types of road I'm willing to cycle. When i was struggling to find work last year, I felt hindered by the lack of relatively direct and safe routes to various outlying towns. so a job in Carnforth would be a rail based commute because the direct road route is too busy and the safer canal route is too slow and winding. Middleton & Heysham i just wouldn't consider as the three potential routes I consider just a tad too risky (either loads of trunk road traffic, or a small amount of quicker back road/rat-run traffic)... they're not that bad but every day, day after day after day would only increase the chance of meeting an impatient, inattentive driver via their car's bonnet. It's a case of doing a quick risk assessment for me and deciding one way or the other... If i can't go by bike and public transport's a bit irregular, i can't really go.

My current commute is about 4 miles, mostly on quiet country lanes or residential roads. It's quicker than the bus, cheaper than the bus and being mostly uphill on the way there, it's only cost me my beer belly :thumbsup:

Last edited:

runner

Guru
One thing that really irritates me is the number of cyclists I see with no lights...don't they know that if a cyclist is coming towards you with dark clothing and no lights then they are almost invisible to the naked eye and to the approaching bike/car. Lights can be acquired for a very small outlay....is it some macho thing? or plain stupidity...I go for the latter reason!

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
I work for the NHS, I have a beard, wear lace up black shoes and wear glasses.... so did Harold Shipman

However I am not responsible for him murdering his patients

In the same way I am nor responsible for bad cyclists

Just to be clear - when I said what's wrong with these people I was referring to the mad suicidal Ninja types who ride on the pavement, not cyclists like you and I (unless of course you are a mad Ninja type with a beard and lace up black shoes who rides on the pavement!). I did say I was also a cyclist in my post. :thumbsup:

It's ok. These fools can do what they like and its entirely justified because some car drivers use mobile phones. At least that's what some of the lefties on here reckon.
...and some taxis drive around without a bail of hay in their boot. They should all be treated equally, cos the law is the law, irrespective of the harm the law-breaking causes.

Drago

Legendary Member
Exactement! You are wise, but certain lefties think we can ignore our own responsibilities towards our own safety while cycling because it's much more fun to be righteously indignant at other road users for their shortcomings.

When I'm playing poker for my life I'm not worried about the other guys hand - I'm worried about playing every one of my own cards for all they're worth.

Top Bottom