Some cyclists have a death wish...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just to be clear - when I said what's wrong with these people I was referring to the mad suicidal Ninja types who ride on the pavement, not cyclists like you and I (unless of course you are a mad Ninja type with a beard and lace up black shoes who rides on the pavement!). I did say I was also a cyclist in my post. :thumbsup:

Wasn't personal, just a comment....

I refuse to be responsible for the actions of some muppets, yet all too many people think that because you are a cyclist you are somehow responsible for the actions of all cyclists

How the feck does anyone avoid trees? They never have lights on them, the leafy bastards!
EDIT : Or hi-viz. Or helmets.

Sad, but true........

There was a n avenue of trees on the A3 that were removed because despite being 10-12 feet away from teh road they were a hazard

It is also the reason that lampposts are being moved away fromthe pavement edge, as once again they are a hazard to motorists

mythste

Veteran
I spotted a cyclist in a side road to my right without any lights or reflectors whatsoever. It very dark so the slight movement in the shadows caught my eye. Good job I'd spotted him as he then cycled out straight in front of me and took off down the pavement! I have to say, as a cyclist myself, I wanted to pursue him and give him a good talking too. Probably not wise in this day and age however...

Liverpool way? I've been braving South Parkway to Lark Lane using Aigburth road as a bit of a "trip extender" if I'm feeling fresh instead of getting the train. As if I don't have enough trouble concentrating on the traffic levels I've had a couple of numpties pull out on bikes with no lights recently - mostly to jump back on the pavement 300 yards later.

Death wishes!

Here is an "experiment"

I googled "street scene at night" and selected the first picture that came up...

Summit_New_Jersey_street_scene_at_night.JPG

Note just how invisible the darker cars are......

Surely they should not be allowed?

Make these cars use HiViz and bright colours - it is surely their responsibility to make themselves visible?

I refuse to be responsible for the actions of some muppets, yet all too many people think that because you are a cyclist you are somehow responsible for the actions of all cyclists
Cool. Do you treat minicab drivers like any other car?

You mean, the stationary cars parked off the road?

That's right ..... the ones that are just about where a cyclist would be, or a car looking for a space.... and you are aware that vehicles driving into parked vehicles is a common accident?

It these vehicles were covered in HiViz it could make the road so much safer

mythste

Veteran
That's right ..... the ones that are just about where a cyclist would be, or a car looking for a space.... and you are aware that vehicles driving into parked vehicles is a common accident?

It these vehicles were covered in HiViz it could make the road so much safer

Awh crap. Usually spot this from a mile off - my bad.

Crack on.

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Liverpool way? I've been braving South Parkway to Lark Lane using Aigburth road as a bit of a "trip extender" if I'm feeling fresh instead of getting the train. As if I don't have enough trouble concentrating on the traffic levels I've had a couple of numpties pull out on bikes with no lights recently - mostly to jump back on the pavement 300 yards later.

Death wishes!

Yeah, not far from me, I'm over on Wirral. At this rate we'll all need to start wearing night vision goggles and eat more carrots...

I like your approach though, in that you cycle in when feel like it instead of getting the train. I think I've been thinking of it as a 'must commute every day' type thing and should perhaps just give it a couple of test runs first.

mythste

Veteran
Yeah, not far from me, I'm over on Wirral. At this rate we'll all need to start wearing night vision goggles and eat more carrots...

I like your approach though, in that you cycle in when feel like it instead of getting the train. I think I've been thinking of it as a 'must commute every day' type thing and should perhaps just give it a couple of test runs first.

I'm lucky working in Runcorn and living on Sefton Park. Its Technically 2 trains and a bus, but I can substitute any of those with a bike ride. Usually do the 5 mile bus trip on my bike most days.

I'm yet to brave the full way though! When the weather picks up!

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member

No worries, I understood the point you were making although thought I should clarify my OP. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Just wanted to say thank for all of these responses. I guess I need to learn to curb my Ninja rants and concentrate on trying out a commute to work soon. I've got all the gear (as I say, I'm a keen 'weekend' cyclist) and probably just need to get on with it.

My job is quite demanding and office based and I find it exhausting already. However, I was hoping that a bit of exercise might actually lift my enegy levels a little and also provide some form of stress relief. I say this as I've found my weekend cycling jaunts have been a great way to de-stress. Has anyone else found these benefits or does the cycle commute just make you even more worn out after a busy day at the office?

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
I'm lucky working in Runcorn and living on Sefton Park. Its Technically 2 trains and a bus, but I can substitute any of those with a bike ride. Usually do the 5 mile bus trip on my bike most days.

I'm yet to brave the full way though! When the weather picks up!

Sounds like you've got a lot of options. I'm not too familiar with the geography over there but fab if you get to cycle through Sefton Park as part of your commute. I've got a choice of a park or coastal cycle path but will probably go for the latter, despite the additional exposure to the elements! I'd be interested to hear from you once you've braved the full way.

subaqua

What’s the point
Seeing as lights are dead cheap, do you carry spare ones to give to unlight riders?

I have done this. when it was a mum on a mixte type bike with the kid in the child seat on the back. I was about half a mile from home and stopped her gave her the lights I had on mine fitted them and told her she needed them more than me for the litte un. not in a patronising way either.

she was quite gushing and said that was probably the kindest thing she had ever had anybody do

I then pushed my bike home.

runner

Guru
Here is an "experiment"

I googled "street scene at night" and selected the first picture that came up...

Summit_New_Jersey_street_scene_at_night.JPG

Note just how invisible the darker cars are......

Surely they should not be allowed?

Make these cars use HiViz and bright colours - it is surely their responsibility to make themselves visible?
Are we not forgetting one thing it's law to have lights on you bike.....
At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.
Law RVLR regs 13, 18 & 24

Top Bottom