Some cyclists have a death wish...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are we not forgetting one thing it's law to have lights on you bike.....
At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.
Law RVLR regs 13, 18 & 24

Which is the reason lighting wasn't referred to, only HIViz in reply to the clothing comments

... and of course on the subject of safety and HiViz

Fred works for a large supermarket chain, and according to the risk assessment working in teh car park area is dangerous and requires HiViz

Fred goes shopping later that same day and it is somehow safe enough for him to wear dark clothing and no HiViz

How does that work?

bianchi1

Guru

Fred works for a large supermarket chain, and according to the risk assessment working in teh car park area is dangerous and requires HiViz

Fred goes shopping later that same day and it is somehow safe enough for him to wear dark clothing and no HiViz

How does that work?

It's probably down to the amount of risk being proportional to the amount of time in the car park. A customer visiting a supermarket may spend 2 minutes a week walking in the risk area, and only half that time pushing one trolly. An employee will spent maybe 2 hours a day 5 days a week walking around the car park, often hampered by a snake of 20+ trolly she/he is returning.

It seems entirely appropriate that two individuals doing different things, over different time spans, one out of choice one under contract, may be dressed differently. When I go and get my frozen chips I don't wear gloves but you will notice that the workers stacking the freezers do.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
t

My job is quite demanding and office based and I find it exhausting already. However, I was hoping that a bit of exercise might actually lift my enegy levels a little and also provide some form of stress relief. I say this as I've found my weekend cycling jaunts have been a great way to de-stress. Has anyone else found these benefits or does the cycle commute just make you even more worn out after a busy day at the office?

I don't commute, but agree a short ride can lift energy levels.

For commuting, you won't know until you try.

It's not all or nothing, commuting on the bike one or two days a week is a successful week, not a failure for driving on the remaining days.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... does the cycle commute just make you even more worn out after a busy day at the office?

In my experience, no. I arrive wide awake a raring to go, often with a couple of numb fingers and toes at this time of year. Then after 6-7 hours sitting at a desk, pushing a mouse, the ride back is a pleasure most of the time. It's a 9-10 mile round trip for me... I guess it depends on how far you'll be commuting

mythste

Veteran
Sounds like you've got a lot of options. I'm not too familiar with the geography over there but fab if you get to cycle through Sefton Park as part of your commute. I've got a choice of a park or coastal cycle path but will probably go for the latter, despite the additional exposure to the elements! I'd be interested to hear from you once you've braved the full way.

I'll be going for a "dry run" one weekend soon so I'll report back. I find that I'm much more energized both upon arrival and when I get home. Also sleeping much better! I've gone from limited exercise to 40-50 miles a week commuting plus weekend blasts.

Well worth investing in some semi decent cycling clothes if you havnt already. Knowing you can be comfortable in adverse conditions can be the difference between "right, let's do this!" and "well, I suppose I'll give it a miss today". The sense of achievement I've had commuting in the horrendous weather the last few weeks has been incredible.

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
I'll be going for a "dry run" one weekend soon so I'll report back. I find that I'm much more energized both upon arrival and when I get home. Also sleeping much better! I've gone from limited exercise to 40-50 miles a week commuting plus weekend blasts.

Well worth investing in some semi decent cycling clothes if you havnt already. Knowing you can be comfortable in adverse conditions can be the difference between "right, let's do this!" and "well, I suppose I'll give it a miss today". The sense of achievement I've had commuting in the horrendous weather the last few weeks has been incredible.

I was hoping to get away with shirt under cycling jacket and possibly over trousers and trainers (don't fancy taking my cycling tights to work and then getting changed each day). The commute is only about 4 miles each way (although I've got a great alternative 'long run' on the return journey if I want to push things a little). I don't think I'll get too sweaty on the way in though as it's quite a short commute. I've got some winter gloves. I should be taking a suit jacket but can probably get away without one.

Might give it a go in next couple weeks....

It's probably down to the amount of risk being proportional to the amount of time in the car park. A customer visiting a supermarket may spend 2 minutes a week walking in the risk area, and only half that time pushing one trolly. An employee will spent maybe 2 hours a day 5 days a week walking around the car park, often hampered by a snake of 20+ trolly she/he is returning.

It seems entirely appropriate that two individuals doing different things, over different time spans, one out of choice one under contract, may be dressed differently. When I go and get my frozen chips I don't wear gloves but you will notice that the workers stacking the freezers do.

So for someone who is only on the bike for a short distance there is less exposure than a hardened commuting cyclist and hence less need for HiViz?

subaqua

What’s the point

How does that work?

To do with the duty of care extended and how it is extended. Customers choose to be in the car park employees don't .

I have an article on it on my work laptop but bolloxed if that's going on on Saturday afternoon when European rugby is on and saints are getting a wiped eye.

bianchi1

Guru
So for someone who is only on the bike for a short distance there is less exposure than a hardened commuting cyclist and hence less need for HiViz?

Yep.

Despite the risks involved in cycling being very small, (actual risk as opposed to perceived risk which varies dependent on the individual) the more time you spend on a bike the more you are exposed to that risk. Individuals may choose to try and lessen the risks by avoiding or cutting down the time doing the activity, some by changing behaviour, improving skills or even wearing different clothing.

The problem with your (often used) supermarket example is while Fred is shopping, cycling, skiing or drag racing he can do what he wants, within the law. While he is employed he is contracted to spend more time in a year than the average shopper will spend in a lifetime wandering around a busy supermarket car park, It is absolutely appropriate that his employers do what they can to limit the risks he is contractually obliged to but himself in front of.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
when it comes to cycling 'gear'... I'm also a bit anti hi-vis, but i do go for higher-vis to an extent. Since my winter jacket is the same shade of grey as an overcast sky, and leg wear is usually jeans, I opt to jazz up my look with a near white cap and a couple of ghastly reflective yellow trouser clips around my ankles. We're most at risk from the impatient, inattentive, ignorant and angry drivers, and the risk they present is equal regardless of whether you're wearing yellow, orange, grey or black.

mythste

Veteran
Sounds like you've got a lot of options. I'm not too familiar with the geography over there but fab if you get to cycle through Sefton Park as part of your commute. I've got a choice of a park or coastal cycle path but will probably go for the latter, despite the additional exposure to the elements! I'd be interested to hear from you once you've braved the full way.

Managed the full 18 miles today. Temperature was good, just a soft shell jacket and Nike "combat" compression/baselayer that I had lying around from my martial arts days. Bib shorts and normal shorts over the top. ankle socks. Perfectly comfortable the whole way and found the mersey path route which you really, really must try! Feeling full of energy and can't wait to give it a crack again tomorrow! Took about an hour and 15 minutes.

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Managed the full 18 miles today. Temperature was good, just a soft shell jacket and Nike "combat" compression/baselayer that I had lying around from my martial arts days. Bib shorts and normal shorts over the top. ankle socks. Perfectly comfortable the whole way and found the mersey path route which you really, really must try! Feeling full of energy and can't wait to give it a crack again tomorrow! Took about an hour and 15 minutes.

Wow, well done. I can't say that the weather this morning did anything to encourage my first commute (I certainly couldn't have called it a 'dry run'!). Barely able to stand up in the wind at the Pier Head although I saw a few brave cyclists getting off the ferry. I'm definately a lightweight! Snow forecast tomorrow so might delay my first attempt until next week now.

I used to practice martial arts too (few years back now and still got a dodgy left knee!).

Keep up the good work. Respect!

Top Bottom