some info please on Brompton p version

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toro

hello
i am new to this group
i am looking for some info on the Brompton Bike
what one will be the best to I WAS looking on P the Version 6 GEAR
is any one can recommend this model or any other model
looking for touring traveling hill going etc
thank you

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you're going to use it for touring you'll need all the gears you can get so I guess the 6 speed is favourite. The Brompton is an urban commuter bike do while it will do the job it won't be as good as something made to tackle hills and carry luggage.
You could also consider a folder with derailleur gears which may give you a greater range.
Do you really need a folder?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There should be plenty of good nformation if you look through the 'folding bikes' part of the forum.

Short answer is if you like the P bar shape then YES. M bars also popular for touring as they both allow full use of the bigger Brompton front bags.
Gearing can be lowered if needed by using a smaller chainring ir fitting a 50/34 double.

I tour on a S6L with a 50/34 chainring mod and it works very well.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Rocky and FF speaketh the sense. A Brompton makes a perfectly reasonable touring bike, with the option of getting to your start point by train / bus / taxi or anything else.
Gears - yes, go for six speed from the outset. You can retrofit them, but it's expensive and entails a new back wheel.
P bars - well, that's personal preference. Try them all and see what suits. I use M bars with bar ends, but that's just me.
I've toured with a T-Bag and with a rack pack. The T-bag is way, way better.

Shameless plug - I've also written about Brompton touring elsewhere.
https://evonews.com/life/travel/2017/may/17/commuting-bikes-that-do-more-than-commuting/

Last edited:

chriscross1966

Über Member
The classic with P-bars is 6-speed with lowered gearing (44T chainring, and a 16T on the bigger ring at the back) touring with luggage...

reppans

I do some light touring out of a single T-bag on a M6R and favorite mods for that are: -12%/44T chainring, Alphabet Cottage mini clips, Ergon GP2 bar-ends, backpack strap for the T-bag, and X-roller. For me, the M bars w/ bar-ends are good for an additional grip position, but don't really change back angle, so I rigged a aero 'drop bar' grip in the bottom of pre-'17 M-bars which adds comfort and efficiency. Not crazy about how the P bars looks, but I think it's going to be the most efficient, and comfortable (varied positions). I'd like to do the double chainring mod.

Top Bottom