Some interesting (to me) figures and stats about my cycling....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This may, or may not, be of interest to other people on the forum but I have just been doing some admin and reviewing my ride logs in readiness for the 2018 season and a few of the numbers I have found to be a bit impressive.
I have always cycled from almost as soon as I could walk, but this took a back seat in my early adult life when I probably cycled no more than 100-200 miles a year from my early twenties through to the time I got a job at my current employer in Dec 2009 at the age of 36. In the spring of 2010 I slicked up my old trusty MTB and started doing the odd cycle commute. This was a 21 mile round trip and while cycling to work was quite normal where I work, most people only cycled a couple of miles for their trip. My 20+ mile commute was not seen as weird and fitted in well with my shift patterns and helping me stay fit/healthy in a work environment that could otherwise be quite damaging.

I didn't log my rides in that 1st year but did start to keep a spreadsheet record in 2011. Looking back a these records gives me a few surprises;
  • I normally ride close to 4,000 miles a year. 2011 when records began was lower at only 2.8k and another dip in 2015 at 2.8k but otherwise high 3000's
  • I have logged 24.5k since I started recording. Allowing for the rides done in 2010 this means I have completed a whopping 25,000 since I started commuting. Not as much as some people but still a big distance.
  • Maybe as much as 20k of that will be pure commuting miles and if this was done by car the fuel costs alone would be approx £3600 before even beginning to consider the wear & tear cost of driving 20k
  • My hybrid commuter bike, purchased at the end of 2010 ready for the 2011 season has clocked up 18,000 of those miles and done so with the minimum of fuss and attention. A genuinely tough bike doing a hard job.
Spreadsheet now reformatted and ready for when the 2018 cycling starts. I am sure most of the miles will once again be done on the hybrid, but 2017 has shown a marked increase in my use of a roadbike with 1 mile ridden on my carbon GT Grade for every two miles covered by the hybrid.

I doubt any of the above is of much interest except to me, but I wanted to put it up on the forum anyway because although there are riders doing a lot more distance, I am actually a bit proud of what I have done. :okay:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The most amazing stat is that you're only 44

You look much older

booze and cake

probably out cycling
The miles do add up, the more I see the more I feel fully justified in having another piece of cake. I'm not fussed by average speed and full on stats but a record of overall mileage is why I GPS my rides. I'm on Ridewithgps and they give you messages at certain milestones, like you've cycled the distance from London to New York. When I clocked past 25,000 miles I got a message saying 'you've cycled around the globe' which does sound impressive, so you can now call yourself a round the world cyclist even if you've never left these shores.

I've not had one since, I've recently just gone past 35,000 miles so I don't know if at 50,000 miles I'll get a 'you've cycled around the globe twice' or what other milestones they've put, cycled to the moon.....out of interest I just had a look how far away the moon is from earth, its 238,855 miles, woah, I'm hoping there's some other milestones before then, that may take a while.

galaxy

Veteran
My Cycling life has been up and down due to work and home life. I so wish over the years I’d logged all my mileage. When my parents were moving they found an old faded wall calendar that used to come with Cycling Weekly. That 1 year had over 11,000 miles. My Dad seems to it was 1987. The year I left school. I lived on my bike.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I am starting to get itchy as I haven't turned a wheel in 2018 yet! Last years easy target was set to 3k and without trying I completed my last commute of the year well over this with a total of 3762 miles on Dec 18th. I then looked at the proximity of the 4k mark and also the fact I was second place in a little 'on the side' competition I am involved in with a couple of forum members who also log rides on MCL. I decided to try for the #1 spot and the 4k before the year ran out so embarked on a number of additional rides during the festive period. Then the MCL site went down and I was riding blind in that challenge.
I managed a further 180 miles in 6 rides which did eventually put me in the top slot of my little leader board but unfortunately still short of 4k. Never mind.

Next ride should be on the MTB at Llandegla early on Sunday morning..... :hyper:

Top Bottom