Some newbie questions for fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've just put in the order for my first fixed bike (via cyclescheme so may be a while) and have some questions:

1. I'm expecting it to come with nuts rather than QR, if I want to fit Q/R does that require a new hub?
2. All my bikes have 175mm cranks and the fixed will have this too. It does mean that road clearance can sometimes be an issue on the road bikes, how does a fixie deal with cornering and speed bumps etc?
3. This one may not be able to be answered on here and will probably be obvious when it arrives but I've opted for bull bars. The bike will have brakes though (at least initially) so I'm concerned about space for the two front lights that I use. Any advice?

Teuchter

Über Member
I'll have a bash...
1. I'm expecting it to come with nuts rather than QR, if I want to fit Q/R does that require a new hub?
Yes but I think people often advise not to use QR on the rear when riding fixed as you really don't want the wheel to move and it's more secure when nutted.
2. All my bikes have 175mm cranks and the fixed will have this too. It does mean that road clearance can sometimes be an issue on the road bikes, how does a fixie deal with cornering and speed bumps etc?
What bike is it? If the frame is designed for fixed yet it comes with 175mm cranks then maybe the bottom bracket is a little higher to compensate. My fixed has 165mm and I've not had problems... would that extra 10mm make a big difference? If in doubt, slow down a bit more when cornering so you don't have to lean so far. Can't imagine problems on speed bumps.
3. This one may not be able to be answered on here and will probably be obvious when it arrives but I've opted for bull bars. The bike will have brakes though (at least initially) so I'm concerned about space for the two front lights that I use. Any advice?
You surely only need about an inch clear on each side of the stem for a pair of lights - how narrow are these bars? Other things like a computer (if you plan to fit one) can go on the stem instead to save space.

Hope that's some help!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'd just says don't sprint before you can track stand (figuratively speaking). A friend just came off at very low speed thanks to a speed bump pedal strike and broke his elbow. He was strapped in with leather straps due to being a trendy hipster though.

1. My axle just sits where the nuts pinch it in the drop-outs, so wheel adjustment is WAAAY easier with 15mm nuts than with a QR set-up. The fixies I see with QR on the rear wheel normally have some sort of chain-adjuster bolts or tug. For me ot's not a safety thing, it's a chain-tension thing.

2. Pedal strike is greatly feared and rarely seen. I have 170mm cranks and I don't think I've been close to contact... and I am an enthusuastic if undignified lover of fast corners.

3. There are many variables on this, so if there's room there's room. Bunllhorns give loads of choice about hand position. After lots of sodding about I tapped TT levers into the ends of my home-made bullhorns. Loads of room for lamps and a computer.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
^ what he said.

Edit: You don't want a QR. You're a big boy. Your back wheel will go walkabout with a QR, or the QR spindle will snap.

Your BB is probably higher than 'normal' and heel strike is a rare bird

Four lights on my bull horns.

So it's a case of getting a couple of box spanners then?

You can do it with one... honest.

Doesn't have to be a box spanner... cor... just gone all nostalgic... them's what I learned to bicyclie stuff with when I were little, like.

Just a nice, meaty 15mm spanner. I have a faithful old combi (ring and C) that travels with me when I'm on fixed. It is a long spanner because the one thing I MASSIVELY overtighten is the spindle of the rear wheel on my fixed. I have irrational terrors of it coming loose.

edindave

Über Member
I use one of these Pedros Fixie Tools, and it stays attached to the bottle cage mounts on the bike.
It might be expensive for what it is (at around £20), but I have also used it to remove the lockring to change sprockets so didn't need to buy another tool for that job.
It also means I can travel light with a pump and spare tube and not need to remember a spanner or need a saddle bag with one. Just as well cos my saddle is a stupid On-One ratchet saddle with nothing to mount a bag on anyway!

Sharky

Guru
Re QR's - to convert nuts to QR, you would need to find a hollow axle. If your hub is an old fashioned cones and loose bearings you might be able to do it, but if it has sealed bearings I would be cautious. Once you start messing with original set ups, it always seem to go wrong. One thing you could investigate is "Wing Nuts". These were the ancestors of QR's and were designed to be tightened by hand, so that you could change a tyre (tub) during a race in about 2 to 3 minutes. Just seen a vintage set of Hetchings wing nuts on ebay for less than £10. Again caution - the old fixed wheels used to have 14mm nuts on the front and 15mm on the back and I think the front axle was slightly narrower. Vintage wing nuts may not have the same threads. And wing nuts became obsolete because QR's were better.

On crank lengths - I mentioned on another thread - I have just changed 3 of my bikes to use 150mm cranks. Am amazing difference and would eliminate any possibility of touching the ground. I can't even prop my bike up on a kerb any more.

Cheers Keith

rb58

Enigma
I was going to suggest you'll need some rolled up jeans to complete the look, but knowing the length of your legs, any ordinary pair will do, LOL.

I agree with CoG - skip single speed and go straight to fixed. It's not as big a deal as you might think. When I first switched 'Teef told me to just keep saying to myself "pedal, pedal, pedal, pedal, pedal". Try it - after the first few rides you'll be sorted.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I was going to suggest you'll need some rolled up jeans to complete the look, but knowing the length of your legs, any ordinary pair will do, LOL.

I agree with CoG - skip single speed and go straight to fixed. It's not as big a deal as you might think. When I first switched 'Teef told me to just keep saying to myself "pedal, pedal, pedal, pedal, pedal". Try it - after the first few rides you'll be sorted.
Yes but how many times during those first few rides will I fall off?

Anyway it should be here next week hopefully

rb58

Enigma
I never fell off at all. Not once. Not even close. The bike reminded me a couple of times that freewheeling isn't an option, but it wasn't violent nor did it threaten my stability. You'll be fine.

You'll have it in time for Southend next weekend then..... Just saying, like. ;-)

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I never fell off at all. Not once. Not even close. The bike reminded me a couple of times that freewheeling isn't an option, but it wasn't violent nor did it threaten my stability. You'll be fine.

You'll have it in time for Southend next weekend then..... Just saying, like. ;-)
I'll blame you if I hurt myself.

Hopefully it'll be here for Southend, will see.

Top Bottom