Some newbie questions for fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I may be guilty of overthinking this but on the ride in this morning I tried to analyse the bits where I stop pedalling:

1. Going downhill (sometimes0
2. Going uphill (sometimes when I need a couple of seconds breather)
3. Approaching a stop (always)
4. Cornering (always)
5. Unclipping from the pedal (always)

Unless I learn very quickly these are going to cause me issues and this isn't even bringing my total lack of co-ordination into play (pedalling, braking and unclipping at the same time could be fun). :eek:

For me it was when reaching for a bidon and (inexplicably) for a few seconds as I crested a climb. Once you've been sort of launched out of the saddle and then snapped back down with inverted knees, you'll soon get out of those bad habits.

Cornering is not the issue I thought it would be. I have yet to come close to pedal strike.

On approaching a stop and unclipping, you do reach a moment of static grace on stopping, where you stay balanced and serene for a couple of seconds after stopping. This is plenty of time to unclip in an unhurried way.

Everything will be fine. You will be happy. Nobody will bomb Syria. Fixed is the way to go.

thom

____
I may be guilty of overthinking this but on the ride in this morning I tried to analyse the bits where I stop pedalling:

1. Going downhill (sometimes0
2. Going uphill (sometimes when I need a couple of seconds breather)
3. Approaching a stop (always)
4. Cornering (always)
5. Unclipping from the pedal (always)

Unless I learn very quickly these are going to cause me issues and this isn't even bringing my total lack of co-ordination into play (pedalling, braking and unclipping at the same time could be fun). :eek:
My first bike since university was a Condor Pista, bought about 10 years ago. My first riding experience was taking it back from the shop through central London. It was fine because I did not go fast and did not have clip-ins for a while.
I see other people with flip-flop wheels going single speed but never transitioning to fixed from free-wheel once they start a single speed set-up.

My advice is just take it easy but go straight to fixed. Do have front and back brakes (for emergency use) and put some flat pedals on until you get used to it. I switch between geared and fixed and often have momentary lapses going round a corner but I think you'll find that while the momentum you have is so powerful that your legs have no choice, your body is so heavy that you won't get evicted from your saddle unless you are really pegging it. So these lapses don't unnerve me.
Focus on riding at slower speeds to start, with accelerations and decelerations without using brakes and you will soon start feeling the bike takes you in smoother more defensive lines through traffic, around other cyclists and at junctions. It is good fun.

Tim Hall

My advice is just take it easy but go straight to fixed. Do have front and back brakes (for emergency use) and put some flat pedals on until you get used to it. I switch between geared and fixed and often have momentary lapses going round a corner but I think you'll find that while the momentum you have is so powerful that your legs have no choice, your body is so heavy that you won't get evicted from your saddle unless you are really pegging it. So these lapses don't unnerve me.
Focus on riding at slower speeds to start, with accelerations and decelerations without using brakes and you will soon start feeling the bike takes you in smoother more defensive lines through traffic, around other cyclists and at junctions. It is good fun.

I'd agree with all that except the pedals. Clip in to avoid that nasty "feet escaped from whirling pedal" feeling.

thom

____
I'd agree with all that except the pedals. Clip in to avoid that nasty "feet escaped from whirling pedal" feeling.
Its true that is a risk - it worked for me though because I avoided high speed stuff for a while but maybe not for @martint235 as there's always a risk of a gusty tailwind catching his sails/ears giving him a boost.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Its true that is a risk - it worked for me though because I avoided high speed stuff for a while but maybe not for @martint235 as there's always a risk of a gusty tailwind catching his sails/ears giving him a boost.

Hey be nice!!! I'll probably go straight to SPDs. The comments made so far suggest I should be ok. I think it may be quite a while before I attempt a FNRttC on fixed though.

thom

____
Hey be nice!!! I'll probably go straight to SPDs. The comments made so far suggest I should be ok. I think it may be quite a while before I attempt a FNRttC on fixed though.
Makes sense - best to build up - I got bad ITB 80 miles into the first DD I did which was on fixed.
But do go straight to fixed - you'll get used to it very quickly but probably will never switch if you start out with a freewheel.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
2646858 said:
Double sided SPDs are easy to pick up. Single sided that you have to flip over are not so when you can't stop pedalling to do it.

I'm planning on just switching the double SPDs from the Giant.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Makes sense - best to build up - I got bad ITB 80 miles into the first DD I did which was on fixed.
But do go straight to fixed - you'll get used to it very quickly but probably will never switch if you start out with a freewheel.

Yep I think if I start off S/S I'll never change. However if I do come off due to a fixed related incident (ie not where I'd have come off anyway) then I reserve the right to commute S/S!!

thom

____
Yep I think if I start off S/S I'll never change. However if I do come off due to a fixed related incident (ie not where I'd have come off anyway) then I reserve the right to commute S/S!!
I love the positive thinking :whistle:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 2647720, member: 30090"]Not be a pedant but it will always be a single speed or s/s. It's a case of whether you ride it's fixed or free wheel.[/quote]
You are being a pedant.

Top Bottom