Some 'people' make me ashamed to be the same species...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Mankind has lost the plot

Only now?

Seriously though, what a horrible horrible story!

That poor man. RIP.

This 'go on, jump' thing has been happening more of late. Some people are just disgusting bags of spit and spite.

Sounds like they were putting clips on social media. Fair play to the lady who approached them and asked what on earth they thought they were doing.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
some parts of our community have become morally bankrupt, detached from a collective concern for others, a sort of empathy blindness. I don't know if this is a change of behaviour which has in part been caused or by the internet, social media etc, or if is merely revealed by the internet, social media etc.

I'm sure there's always been a section of society which have flocked to revel in the misfortune of others (tales of baying and cheering audiences at public hangings and beheadings over the ages have been well documented), but I wonder if we're becoming desensitised to real events because of the saturation of videos and pictures which are shown in mainstream news media as well as the seedier corners of the web

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Unfortunately this is neither restricted to this country nor to situations described in the report.
It is all too easy to find postings on the internet of people who are clearly in desperate situations, whether mentally or physically and some f$$$$ing moron thinks that it is good idea to record that person's distress, rather than giving support. comfort, assistance etc.
I was told about 12 months ago of an RTA (in this country), where the ambulance arrived and the paramedics had to push through the onlookers filming the scene and not one of those on the scene before the paramedics was giving emergency aid.
It is as if they get some sort of sick pleasure, not only being present at a scene of distress, but showing the results to others, whether directly or via uploads.
Utterly sickening.

This is something unheard of just a decade ago. What changed?

I remember couple of years ago there was a race to create tribute page in FB by someone not even close to the deceased youth in order to see the number of posts and hits. The parents assumed that it was a close friend until other kids made known it was not the case. Pretty sick.

This is something unheard of just a decade ago. What changed?
I don't think it's completely different to baying mobs at hangings in the past. They were convicted criminals but often vulnerable people hanged on the most illogical process of law and people would take great glee in viewing it when most likely they had no idea who it was and what the had apparently done.

This goes back hundreds of years and my source is not much more than my memory of history lessons.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Last year I helped talk a woman off of a motorway bridge (others did all the real work mind) and a couple of people were in the background filming that on mobiles (youth from what I remember, I was too busy at the time to pay much heed). I wonder if they justify it by saying 'at least there will be evidence if something happens'. They got bored and left when it became obvious she wasn't going to jump.

Hyslop

Veteran
Appalling.That others distressing circumstances provide amusement or even perhaps entertainment for a section of society is profoundly depressing.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's not new. Google the 'satirical' Derek and clive song. I won't post it here, it's not appropriate.
Agreed. However horrible, this is nothing new, nor any indicator for 'mankind'. There are relatively few such people, and they have always existed. Not that that makes it any less sickening and saddening...but it is the case.

Top Bottom