Someone on the bus sat in front of me smelt of fags and chip oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yesterday this was. He got on the bus then sat down in front of me. Then i got the wiff! Cigarettes and chips.
It was only a 15 minute journey so although i can't hold my breath that long,i breathed through my mouth,covering it slightly with a piece of kitchen towel to keep any bacteria out. I'm not being snobbish here but he really did stink! I wondered why someone would leave the house smelling so badly? Do they know they smell,do they not know they smell,or do they not give a toss and have no consideration for those who have to be near them? As my great grandma used to say,"I was one of 13 children,but we were always clean and soap costs nothing"(i wanted to correct here and tell her it was "soap doesn't cost that much",but she'd have clipped me round the ear hole if i had:unsure:) Anyway,back to the question. If someone you know or you don't know smells of something nasty would you feel obliged to tell them so?

Colin_P

Guru
Legend has it they are called "the great unwashed" and folklore dictates that you are highly likely to meet many on a bus or train. Apparently it is when they start sneezing and or coughing is when to worry and that is highly likely to lead to a full zombie outbreak.

And that is why cars and cycling are best :whistle:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Legend has it they are called "the great unwashed" and folklore dictates that you are highly likely to meet many on a bus or train. Apparently it is when they start sneezing and or coughing is when to worry and that is highly likely to lead to a full zombie outbreak.

And that is why cars and cycling are best :whistle:

I'll never forget travelling by bus on a road near here,surrounded by fields. I kept getting a whiff of what i thought was manure they'd been spreading on the fields.
Then the drunk type got up and i saw a big brown stain on the backside of his pants. :eek: Someone's got to sit on that seat after him i thought,so i informed the bus driver. "Don't worry about it,i'll tell them to clean it when i get back to the depot" he replied. How long will that be, i asked. "In about four hours" he replied.
Imagine how many unsuspecting passengers would sit on that seat in those four hours?!:ohmy:

sight-pin

Veteran
A smoker would't know if they smell like an ashtray, It's only if they didn't smoke for a matter of weeks they then pick up the scent.

sight-pin

Veteran
Once in my young teens i was sitting on a bus when a young lady in front of me lit a cigarette, all of a sudden her whole hair caught alight with a low blue flame, it went out just before i was going tell her, she didn't even know. lol

Globalti

Legendary Member
I caught a bus last year in Scotland and somewhere just outside Glasgow a quite unfit and overweight couple got on and sat in front of me - they both stank, they had long greasy grey hair and they smelled of dirty bodies and wood smoke so I guess they were living in fairly rough conditions. I couldn't move because the bus was full so it was a relief when they got off at some kind of crusty country festival about an hour later.

Some people live in filthy conditions; we have neighbours who seldom open their curtains and never open their windows. I've stepped inside their house and it absolutely stinks of cooking and fetid damp and mustiness. Our windows are always latched on vent, we must live in the best ventilated house in Britain.

pplpilot

Guru
The bus! Good grief.

We had a chap in our office that absolutely stank, breath, BO the lot. Nobody would tell him. We set up a tempory email address and sent him a mail. He handed his notice in on the following Monday. I bumped into him in town about a year later. Still stank. And his breath had got worse. xx(

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yesterday this was. He got on the bus then sat down in front of me. Then i got the wiff! Cigarettes and chips.
It was only a 15 minute journey so although i can't hold my breath that long,i breathed through my mouth,covering it slightly with a piece of kitchen towel to keep any bacteria out. I'm not being snobbish here but he really did stink! I wondered why someone would leave the house smelling so badly? Do they know they smell,do they not know they smell,or do they not give a toss and have no consideration for those who have to be near them? As my great grandma used to say,"I was one of 13 children,but we were always clean and soap costs nothing"(i wanted to correct here and tell her it was "soap doesn't cost that much",but she'd have clipped me round the ear hole if i had:unsure:) Anyway,back to the question. If someone you know or you don't know smells of something nasty would you feel obliged to tell them so?

I think that's a very black and white view of the 'situation'.

For sure it's unpleasant to witness but maybe you could have moved your seat? Although maybe not.

Nonetheless, you have no idea what his personal circumstances are. He may not even have a house to live in. He may be in a poor mental state and struggling to care for himself. He may be ill. He may be all of those things and more besides.

I think you are being a bit unfair tbh.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Soap does cost nothing! Just use the chip grease and get some lye out of the ashtray!

Last edited:
Top Bottom